General relationship for springs connected in series

In summary: means that when k1 is greater than k2, then the effective spring constant is greater than the simple force constant.
Vandetah

Homework Statement

What is the effective force constant of 2 springs which are connected in series? What is the general relationship for n springs connected in series?

Homework Equations

im not sure if i should use
hookes_law_equation_spring_force_constant.png

or is the formula for a series circuit also relevant?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Vandetah! :smile:

When massless springs are connected in series, the forces exerted by each is the same. Can you derive a relation using this fact?

so if there's two springs then it would be
k1 = k2?

Vandetah said:
so if there's two springs then it would be
k1 = k2?

Not quite. Even though their forces are same, their extension will be different. For two strings, you have,

[tex]x_1 = \frac{F}{k_1}[/tex]

[tex]x_2 = \frac{F}{k_2}[/tex]

And, [itex]x= x_1 + x_2[/itex]

Do you see a relation between the spring constants now?

u might laugh at this but, does it mean that two constant springs connected to each other create a signle force constant and therefore act as if it were a single spring?

Vandetah said:
u might laugh at this but, does it mean that two constant springs connected to each other create a signle force constant and therefore act as if it were a single spring?

No, they produce a single force. Not the same force constant. That should be clear from the above equations :smile:

Infinitum said:
No, they produce a single force. Not the same force constant. That should be clear from the above equations :smile:

so that is the general relationship, but what about the effective force constant? Can i use the equation i mentioned in the op?

Vandetah said:
so that is the general relationship, but what about the effective force constant? Can i use the equation i mentioned in the op?

Noo...Use the equations I wrote in my earlier posts to derive the relation for the effective force constant!

is there a difference between just a force constant and an effective one?

Vandetah said:
is there a difference between just a force constant and an effective one?

Well, force constant is for a simple, single spring. The effective constant is the effective spring you replace a given setup with, so that you get the same force exerted by that single spring which the whole setup would exert.

so if i derive the equations u mentioned i will get

k1 = [itex]\frac{F}{x1}[/itex]

and

k2 = [itex]\frac{F}{x2}[/itex]

so k = k1+k2??

Vandetah said:
so if i derive the equations u mentioned i will get

k1 = [itex]\frac{F}{x1}[/itex]

and

k2 = [itex]\frac{F}{x2}[/itex]

so k = k1+k2??

Noo :redface:

Use x = x1 + x2.

Infinitum said:
Noo :redface:

Use x = x1 + x2.

could it be?

x = [itex]\frac{F K_{2}+ F K_{1}}{K_{1}K_{2}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Vandetah said:
could it be?

x = [itex]\frac{F K_{2}+ F K_{1}}{K_{1}K_{2}}[/itex]

Yes, but you need to find the effective constant, and not the final extension :wink:

Take x = F/k.

Imagine that you measure the extension of both springs applying the same force to each. You get ΔL1 with the first spring and ΔL2 with the other spring. If you connect the springs, the same force acts on each - you pull the second one with F, it stretches by ΔL2, the second spring pulls the first one with the same force, it extends by ΔL1, so the connected springs stretch by the sum ΔL1+ΔL2.

You put the connected springs in a black box to hide the point where they are connected. You say it is a spring inside and ask somebody to measure the spring constant, applying force F. The person measures the change of length ΔL, and calculates the spring constant k=F/ΔL. That is the effective spring constant of the device inside the black box.

You know that ΔL=ΔL1+ΔL2, and also that ΔL1=F/k1, ΔL2=F/k2, so you can express the effective spring constant with the individual ones.

ehild

Attachments

• springss.JPG
    springss.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 455
lol that post above got me more confused :(

Vandetah said:
lol that post above got me more confused :(

Ehild put all I was saying in one post.

Just use x=F/k in your last equation, where k is the effective constant. :smile:

1. Let 2 bodies connected with inextensible string.
If 1st body is pulled by a force and remained at rest, EQUAL force also exerted on 2nd object.

Thus spring#1 and spring#2 extended with equal force, x1 and x2

F=-k1x1=-k2x2 ...(1)

2. Total extension is x1+x2 due to F.
F=Keff(x1+x2)

Subt. (1) in (2)
-k2x2=-Keff((k2/k1)x2+x2)
k2=Keff((k2/k1)+1)

Keff =k1k2/k1+k2 like resistors in parallel

azizlwl said:
Keff =k1k2/k1+k2 like resistors in parallel

You mean that Keff=k1k2/k1+k2, that is Keff=2k2? It is wrong.
Or you just forgot the parentheses...

ehild

Related to General relationship for springs connected in series

What is the general relationship for springs connected in series?

The general relationship for springs connected in series is that the total spring constant is equal to the sum of the individual spring constants. In other words, the stiffness of the combined springs is equal to the sum of the stiffness of each individual spring.

How do you calculate the total spring constant for springs connected in series?

To calculate the total spring constant for springs connected in series, you simply add the individual spring constants together. For example, if you have two springs with spring constants of 10 N/m and 20 N/m, the total spring constant would be 30 N/m.

What happens to the total spring constant when springs are connected in series?

When springs are connected in series, the total spring constant increases. This means that the combined springs will be stiffer than a single spring with the same spring constant.

Can you combine an unlimited number of springs in series?

Technically, you can combine an unlimited number of springs in series. However, as the number of springs increases, the increase in stiffness becomes less significant. At a certain point, adding more springs will not make a noticeable difference in the total spring constant.

Are there any real-life applications of springs connected in series?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of springs connected in series. One common example is in car suspension systems, where multiple springs are often connected in series to provide a smoother ride. Another example is in musical instruments, such as pianos, where multiple springs are used in the keys to control the tension and response of the keys.