Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] general questions on Rudin's Baby book

issacnewton

Jan 30, 2012
Hi

I just have some question about the Walter Rudin's Baby book, aka, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis". This is considered very difficult book, especially the problems. So if somebody has solved all the problems from this book, does studying other branches of mathematics become easier for such a person.
Since analysis is considered the starting point of research mathematics, I would assume that this is the case.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi

I just have some question about the Walter Rudin's Baby book, aka, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis". This is considered very difficult book, especially the problems. So if somebody has solved all the problems from this book, does studying other branches of mathematics become easier for such a person.
Since analysis is considered the starting point of research mathematics, I would assume that this is the case.
My recommendation is to go to Amazon's web page for that book, and read the review by Bolzano Bourbaki entitled, Book should be called "Tada! You're a mathematician!", written October 26, 2005. Too bad more math book reviews aren't written like that one. Anyway, I think that review answers your question in quite a vigorous manner.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Hi

I think Rudin's book is easier than Maxwell Rosenlicht Analysis book. In fact, I bought this book just to go through since the other analysis books I have are a lot harder.

If you use some other analysis book, you may come to love this one. The explanations are very nice. Whereas with others, you read trivial when you have no idea what they did.

issacnewton

Jan 30, 2012
thanks...on some other forum, somebody suggested koerner's "A Companion to Analysis" as a prerequisite if people struggle with baby book.... :)