General question about vector addition -- using graphical versus mathematical methods

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solving graphical vector problems using only integration and math, without the need to add vectors together graphically. The speaker expresses frustration with the graphical method and hopes to receive partial credit if required to use it, but also acknowledges that it may be more complicated in some problems. They also mention having no knowledge of the graphical method and ask for an example problem.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

I have an exam on vectors and 2 dimensional motion today. I NEED to know if it is possible to solve any GRAPHICAL VECTOR PROBLEM using only INTEGRATION AND MATH WITHOUT ADDING VECTORS TOGETHER GRAPHICALLY. So given any word problem that is supposed to be solved using that stupid graphic method, you can also just solve with math and intuition and pictures right?? I have no frikkin clue how to do it the graphical way and i have solved tons of 2d motion problems using just math. Really hoping the prof doesn't try to make us do it graphically but if he does i am planning to get partial credit by solving it without adding vectors and integrating vectors.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
So given any word problem that is supposed to be solved using that stupid graphic method, you can also just solve with math and intuition and pictures right?
Sure.
It can be more complicated in some problems.

Adding vectors graphically is really not magic.

isukatphysics69 said:
I have no frikkin clue how to do it the graphical way
Can you give an example problem?

Related to General question about vector addition -- using graphical versus mathematical methods

What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to create a new vector that represents the combination of the original vectors. This can be done using both graphical and mathematical methods.

What is the difference between graphical and mathematical methods of vector addition?

Graphical methods involve drawing the vectors on a diagram and using geometric principles to determine the resulting vector. Mathematical methods use equations and formulas to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

Which method is more accurate, graphical or mathematical?

Both methods can provide accurate results, but graphical methods may be more prone to human error. Mathematical methods, if done correctly, can provide precise and accurate calculations.

When should I use graphical methods for vector addition?

Graphical methods are useful when dealing with simple or visual problems, or when an approximate answer is sufficient. They can also be helpful in understanding the concept of vector addition.

When should I use mathematical methods for vector addition?

Mathematical methods are useful when dealing with complex or precise problems, or when an exact answer is required. They can also be used to solve problems involving multiple vectors more efficiently than graphical methods.