General Question About Self-Teaching

• Other
  • Thread starter Atom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the individual is planning on self-teaching themselves chemistry, physics, and math subjects, including relearning college-level algebra and calculus. They are wondering how they can effectively test themselves to ensure their understanding and plan to supplement their DIY business with this knowledge. They also mention seeking out resources for self-study, including articles from professionals on the topic.
Atom1
So I'd like to say sorry if this has been posted before, or I'm placing it in the wrong area...

After taking several months off (which I probably shouldn't have done) I am going to start self teaching myself, some subjects will be easy, but what I'm wondering is how can I properly test myself to see if I'm actually learning?

I'll be teaching myself chemistry, physics, and reteaching myself college level algebra, calculus and other math and science related topic's.

Physics news on Phys.org
Atom1 said:
but what I'm wondering is how can I properly test myself to see if I'm actually learning?

If you can do the majority of the problems in the books you're studying from without having to constantly look up how to do them, you're probably doing okay.

Likes NathanaelNolk and TomServo
When self studying any subjects for academic or professional purposes always try to avoid working in total isolation .

Find some people to talk to .

Likes Logical Dog and Drakkith
Atom1 said:
So I'd like to say sorry if this has been posted before, or I'm placing it in the wrong area...

After taking several months off (which I probably shouldn't have done) I am going to start self teaching myself, some subjects will be easy, but what I'm wondering is how can I properly test myself to see if I'm actually learning?

I'll be teaching myself chemistry, physics, and reteaching myself college level algebra, calculus and other math and science related topic's.

You never explain the reason for this self-teaching. Are you doing this just to learn these subjects, or are you hoping to go into a professional or educational position with such knowledge?

Zz.

Drakkith said:
If you can do the majority of the problems in the books you're studying from without having to constantly look up how to do them, you're probably doing okay.

Yes, or, even better, do sets of questions done without any reference at all to the textbook at all. i.e. a test

-Dave K

ZapperZ said:
You never explain the reason for this self-teaching. Are you doing this just to learn these subjects, or are you hoping to go into a professional or educational position with such knowledge?

Zz.

It's a combination of wanting to learn them and professional I'm about to start a DIY in business and I'd like to supplement it to the best of my ability with subject's that I like.

[Post edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Atom1 said:
It's a combination of wanting to learn them and professional I'm about to start a DIY in business and I'd like to supplement it to the best of my ability with subject's that I like.

[Post edited by moderator]

This reply has a dubious distinction of turning it into a more puzzling situation than before. What exactly does it mean?

Zz.

Related to General Question About Self-Teaching

1. What are the benefits of self-teaching?

The benefits of self-teaching include the ability to learn at your own pace, the freedom to choose what you want to learn, and the development of self-motivation and discipline. Self-teaching also allows for a deeper understanding and retention of information.

2. How do I know if I am self-teaching effectively?

Effective self-teaching involves setting clear goals, actively engaging with the material, seeking out resources and feedback, and regularly evaluating your progress. If you are consistently meeting your goals and understanding the material, you are likely self-teaching effectively.

3. Can anyone learn through self-teaching?

Yes, anyone can learn through self-teaching. It may be more challenging for some individuals, but with dedication and the right resources, anyone can successfully self-teach.

4. How do I stay motivated while self-teaching?

Staying motivated while self-teaching can be difficult, but setting achievable goals, taking breaks, and finding a support system can help. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the benefits and the end goal of your self-teaching journey.

5. What are some effective self-teaching methods?

Some effective self-teaching methods include breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks, using visual aids and mnemonics, actively engaging with the material through practice and application, and seeking out additional resources such as online tutorials or textbooks.