General Nth Derivative f(x)=x^x: Solving a Difficult Problem

In summary, the author is looking for a formula that can give him the 10th derivative. He tried differentiating the power series representation of the function and found that it was more complex than he thought. He then tried plotting successive derivatives and found that the curves didn't seem to have a pattern. He is looking for a way to simplify the equation.
Euler2718
I'm very interesting in functions of the nature:

[tex]f(x) = x^{x}[/tex]
[tex]f(x) = x^{x^{x}}[/tex]
and so on. I believe these are called tetrations? Regardless, I sought to generalize the nth derivative of [itex]f(x)=x^x[/itex] and it is proving to be difficult.

First I tried just repeatedly differentiating until I could see a pattern:

[tex] f'(x) = x^{x}\left(1+\ln(x)\right)[/tex]
[tex]f''(x) = x^{x-1}\left(1+x+2x\ln(x) + x\ln^{x}(x)\right) [/tex]
[tex]f'''(x) = x^{x-2}\left( -1+3x+x^{2} +3x(1+x)\ln(x)+3x^{2}\ln^{2}(x)+x^{2}\ln^{3}(x)\right) [/tex]
[tex]f^{4}(x) = x^{x-3}\left( 2-x+6x^{2}+x^{3}+4x(-1+3x+x^{2})\ln(x)+6x^{2}(1+x)\ln^{2}(x)+4x^{3}\ln^{3}(x)+x^{3}\ln^{4}(x) \right) [/tex]

I couldn't seem to find a pattern here. So I tried representing [itex] f(x)=x^{x} [/itex] as a power series:

[tex] f(x) = x^{x} = e^{x\ln(x)} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!}x^n\ln^{n}(x) [/tex]

Then maybe taking the derivatives of the power series could lead me to an easier pattern. After I took the first derivative I felt that it wasn't the case as:

[tex] f'(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(n-1)!}\left(1+\ln(x)\right)x^{n-1}\ln^{n-1}(x) [/tex]

Which looks to be at a first glance more complex. Putting it through mathematica kind of left me with the same feeling of getting no where.

Is there anything I should be considering? Any methods that I could employ to solve my problem? I don't know much about higher level maths (I'm currently doing Calc III) .

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
what is wrong with:
##y=x^x##
##\ln |y| = x\ln |x|##
##\qquad##... and differentiating both side wrt x.

http://www.analyzemath.com/calculus/Differentiation/first_derivative.html

I'm interesting personally in a formula that would give me any derivative. Say I wanted the 10th derivative for instance. Of course you could manually take d/dx 10 times, but I think a formula would be a nice discovery.

Oh I getcha...
I'd try plotting the successive analytic derivatives to see if the curves show any patterns.
The alternative would be to prove there wasn't one.

You are getting ##f^{(n)} = x^{x-n+1}\left(\sum_{i=0}^n P_i^{n-1}(x) \ln^i|x|\right)## ... something... where ##P_i^j(k)## is the ith polynomial in k of degree j.
... except the pattern breaks for n=4 with P^3,P^6,P^3,P^6,P^3 ... but this may point to a way to find a pattern.

You may want to get a computer to generate a lot of derivatives.
Good luck.

Likes Euler2718
I've gotten to a point to where if I could generalize the nth derivative of

[tex] f(x) = \ln^{n}(x) [/tex]

I might be on a good path. This generalization looks messy though.

Using the general product rule:

## D^{m} f(x)=D^{m}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}x^{n}\ln^{n}{x}\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}D^{m}\left(x^{n}\ln^{n}{x}\right)=##

##=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}\sum_{i=0}^{m}\binom{m}{i}D^{i}(x^{n})D^{m-i}(\ln^{n}{x})##

put it into a math program and it generates the ##m##-derivatives ...

Likes Euler2718

Related to General Nth Derivative f(x)=x^x: Solving a Difficult Problem

1. What is the general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x?

The general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x is given by:

n-th derivative of f(x) = x^x = x^x(ln x)^n + (x^x)(ln x)^{n-1}(1 + \frac{n}{x}) + (x^x)(ln x)^{n-2}(1 + \frac{n}{x} + \frac{n(n-1)}{x^2}) + ... + (x^x)(ln x)(1 + \frac{n}{x} + \frac{n(n-1)}{x^2} + ... + \frac{n!}{x^n}) + \frac{n!}{x^n}

2. How can the general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x be derived?

The general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x can be derived using the Leibniz rule for differentiation and the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of x^x with respect to x, then using the chain rule to find the derivative of x^x with respect to ln x. This process is repeated for each successive derivative, resulting in the general formula.

3. Can the general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x be simplified?

Yes, the general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x can be simplified by factoring out (x^x)(ln x)^n and using the formula for the sum of a geometric series. This results in a simplified formula:

n-th derivative of f(x) = x^x\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\frac{(ln x)^k}{k!} + \frac{n!}{x^n}

4. Are there any patterns or special cases in the general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x?

Yes, there are a few patterns and special cases in the general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x. For example, the first term in the simplified formula is a geometric series with a common ratio of ln x. This means that for certain values of x, the series will converge and the formula can be simplified even further. Additionally, when n=0, the formula simplifies to f(x)=x^x, and when n=1, the formula simplifies to f'(x)=x^x(ln x + 1).

5. Can the general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x be used to solve difficult problems?

Yes, the general formula for the nth derivative of f(x)=x^x can be used to solve difficult problems involving derivatives of x^x. By using the formula, one can find the nth derivative of x^x at any point x, which can be useful in finding the maximum or minimum values of x^x or in solving optimization problems. However, the formula can become quite complex for higher values of n, so it may not always be the most efficient method of solving a problem.