General notion of coordinate change

In summary, coordinate transformations in physics involve changing the coordinate frame using a Galilean transformation in classical mechanics and a Lorentz transformation in special relativity. In general, a coordinate change is a mapping from one coordinate chart to another, and does not have to cover the entire manifold. The conditions for a function to qualify as a coordinate change involve its definition on the overlaps between coordinate charts, and this concept is distinct from diffeomorphism in the context of general relativity.
Logic Cloud
I'm trying to understand the nature of coordinate transformations in physics. In classical mechanics, we can transform to a different coordinate frame by means of a Galilean transformation. In special relativity, this is replaced by a Lorentz transformation. I am now wondering whether there exists a general notion of coordinate change. More specifically, say we have a function from some manifold M to itself, is there a general set of conditions for this function to qualify as a 'coordinate change'?

(I have encountered the notion of diffeomorphism in the context of general relativity, but I want to confirm whether this is truly the concept I am looking for here.)

Physics news on Phys.org
A coordinate change is not a diffeomorphism. It is a mapping from one coordinate chart to another, giving different descriptions of the same manifold. In general you can use whatever coordinates you fancy, orthogonal, curvilinear, etc. They do not need to cover the whole manifold to make a coordinate chart. Coordinate transformations are defined on the overlaps between the coordinate charts.

Related to General notion of coordinate change

1. What is the general notion of coordinate change?

The general notion of coordinate change refers to the concept of transforming a set of coordinates, typically in a mathematical or geometric system, into a different set of coordinates. This change is often done to make calculations or measurements easier or to represent the same data in a different way.

2. Why is coordinate change important in science?

Coordinate change is important in science because it allows us to simplify complex systems and analyze them in a more manageable way. It also helps us to compare and relate different systems and data sets, making it easier to understand and interpret scientific phenomena.

3. What are some examples of coordinate change in science?

Some examples of coordinate change in science include converting between Cartesian and polar coordinates in mathematics, transforming between different reference frames in physics, and changing the coordinate system of a map in geography.

4. How is coordinate change related to vectors and matrices?

Coordinate change is closely related to vectors and matrices, as they are often used to represent and manipulate coordinates. Vectors can be used to represent the direction and magnitude of the coordinate change, while matrices can be used to perform the actual transformation.

5. What are the practical applications of coordinate change in science?

The practical applications of coordinate change in science are numerous. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, geography, and computer science to analyze and model various systems. It also plays a crucial role in translating theoretical concepts into real-world applications, such as navigation systems and 3D graphics.