General Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential with an initial wave function and coefficients. The question is about the probability of obtaining an energy measurement greater than a certain value at an arbitrary time. The solution involves finding the integral of the wave function squared and using the equation to determine the probability. However, the specific value of ψ is unknown.
helpppmeee
Edit: Problem solved please disregard this post

Homework Statement

A particle in the harmonic oscillator potential has the initial wave function [itex]\Psi[/itex](x, 0) = ∑(from n = 0 to infinity) Cnψn(x) where the ψ(x) are the (normalized) harmonic oscillator eigenfunctions and the coefficients are given by the expression Cn = 1/(√(2^(n=1))). What is the probability that a measurement of the oscillator's energy at an arbitrary time t>0 will yield a result greater than 2(hbar)ω.

Homework Equations

En = (n + 1/2)(hbar)ω

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I can attempt the answer. The P(E>2(hbar)ω) is when En = 2(hbar)ω so ∴, n > 2 is when En = 2(hbar)ω. So, from 2 to infinite integers, we have the potential energies according to the equation [itex]\Psi[/itex](x, 0) = ∑(from n = 0 to infinity) Cnψn(x). So therefore, I believe that the integral of ([itex]\Psi[/itex](x, 0))^2 will give me my probability of finding the energy. So therefore, P(E>2(hbar)ω) = 1 - P(E≤2(hbar)ω) where P(E≤2(hbar)ω) = C1ψ1 + C0ψ0. I just can't seem to figure out what ψ is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Really? nobody can help?

Related to General Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is a general harmonic oscillator?

A general harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion around an equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and a constant frequency of oscillation.

2. What are the key components of a general harmonic oscillator?

The key components of a general harmonic oscillator include a mass, a spring, and a damping element. The mass provides the inertia for the oscillatory motion, the spring provides the restoring force, and the damping element dissipates energy to resist the motion.

3. How is the motion of a general harmonic oscillator described mathematically?

The motion of a general harmonic oscillator is described mathematically by the equation: F = -kx - bv, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and v is the velocity. This is known as the harmonic oscillator equation.

4. What is the significance of the resonance frequency in a general harmonic oscillator?

The resonance frequency in a general harmonic oscillator is the frequency at which the system will oscillate with the greatest amplitude when driven by an external force. It is determined by the mass, spring constant, and damping factor of the system.

5. How is a general harmonic oscillator used in practical applications?

A general harmonic oscillator is used in a variety of practical applications, including in mechanical systems such as clocks and pendulums, electrical circuits, and even in biological systems. It is also an important concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.