General Chemistry problem with conversion factors

In summary, when converting one cubic mile of sea water with a density of 1.13 g/cm3 to gallons and tons, we can use the conversion factors 1 cm3/.001 L, 3.785 L/1 gal, 1 kg/2.2046 lb, and 5280 ft3=1 mi3. By multiplying these conversion factors with 1.13g/1cm3, we can determine that one cubic mile of sea water contains approximately 4.67x1011 gallons and 1.03x1012 tons of sea water.
CN^-
One cubic mile of sea water, with a density of 1.13 g/cm3 contains how many gallons and how many tons of sea water?

1 cm3/.001 L
3.785 L/1 gal
1 kg/2.2046 lb
5280 ft3=1 mi3

1.13g/1cm3 X 2.2046 lb/1000 X 1 cm3/.001 L X 3.785/gal

After this point I get a bit confused about how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
CN^- said:
One cubic mile of sea water, with a density of 1.13 g/cm3 contains how many gallons and how many tons of sea water?

1 cm3/.001 L
3.785 L/1 gal
1 kg/2.2046 lb
5280 ft3=1 mi3

1.13g/1cm3 X 2.2046 lb/1000 X 1 cm3/.001 L X 3.785/gal

After this point I get a bit confused about how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

I give some tips for unit conversions in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=425866

Just write out the quantity you have now, and keep multiplying by "1" to do each part of the units conversion. Can you give that a try and show us your work? Carry the units along in numerator and denominator of your quantity as you go...

Related to General Chemistry problem with conversion factors

1. What are conversion factors in general chemistry?

Conversion factors are numerical ratios used to convert between different units of measurement in chemistry. They often involve multiplying or dividing by a specific number to convert from one unit to another.

2. How do I determine which conversion factor to use?

The conversion factor used depends on the units you are converting from and to. It is important to pay attention to the units given in the problem and choose the appropriate conversion factor that will cancel out the unwanted units and leave the desired units.

3. Can I use multiple conversion factors in one problem?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple conversion factors in one problem. This is often necessary when converting between multiple units of measurement. However, it is important to make sure the units cancel out correctly to ensure an accurate conversion.

4. What are some common conversion factors in general chemistry?

Some common conversion factors in general chemistry include those for converting between metric units (such as grams to kilograms), between moles and grams, and between temperature scales (such as Celsius to Fahrenheit). It is important to familiarize yourself with these conversion factors and their numerical values.

5. How can I check if my conversion factor is correct?

The best way to check if your conversion factor is correct is to perform the conversion using both the original units and the converted units. If the two values are equal, then your conversion factor is correct. It is always important to double-check your work to ensure accuracy.