General Chem Kinetics question.

In summary, the reaction is found to be first order with respect to NO2 and SO2. However, it is not possible to determine the slow step for this reaction based on the information given. The second step does not involve SO2 and therefore cannot have any order with regards to SO2. The definition of activation energy is the minimum energy of collision required for a chemical reaction. The slow step requires the presence of SO2, and one of the reactions does not involve SO2 at all, making it impossible for it to be a slow step. This is determined through logical reasoning and is not an additional rule.
Miike012
Question 1:

Step 1: 2NO2 (g) + 2SO2 (g) = 2NO (g) + 2SO3 (g)
Step 2: 2NO (g) + O2 (g) = 2NO2 (g)
The reaction is found to be first order with respect to NO2 and SO2, what is the slow step for this reaction?

1. First step
2.Second step
3.Not possible to determine

Question 2 and 3: Look at graph.
Questions are located on the graph...

Thank you.

For Question 1: I believe that it is 3. not possible to determine.
Question 2... number 24 on graph I believe it is 8 J
question 3: I have no clue.

Attachments

• Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
The reaction is found to be first order with respect to NO2 and SO2, what is the slow step for this reaction?

Does the second step involve SO2? Can it be first order with respect to SO2?

Question 2... number 24 on graph I believe it is 8 J
question 3: I have no clue.

What is the definition of activation energy?

Activation energy: min energy of collision required for a chem reaction...

the second step does not involve SO2... I still don't understnad it though?

Miike012 said:
Activation energy: min energy of collision required for a chem reaction...

That's not completely off, but it doesn't address what is really important here. It is not total energy, but amount of energy needed to start the reaction. 8J is total.

the second step does not involve SO2... I still don't understnad it though?

If it doesn't involve SO2, can it have ANY order with regards to SO2?

If it doesn't involve SO2... then no it can not have any order with regards to SO2...

? so what does that mean?

If the second step would be the slow one, could it be first order with regards to SO2?

No... I don't believe so.. I am just not understanding how to determine the slow step.. I know your trying to tell me something but I still am not understanding how SO2 can determine if its a slow or fast step..

You know slow step requires presence of SO2, you also know one of the reactions doesn't involve SO2 at all. Can it be a slow step then?

I had no idea a slow step REQUIRED SO2... ?

That's the conclusion from the information given - if slow step has any order with regard to SO2, SO2 must be part of the reaction. This is not some additional rule, this is just application of logic.

Related to General Chem Kinetics question.

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the study of how chemical reactions occur and the factors that influence their rates. It involves understanding the speed at which reactants are converted into products and the mechanisms by which this occurs.

2. What are the factors that influence reaction rates?

The factors that influence reaction rates include temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and surface area. Increasing the temperature, concentration, or surface area typically increases the rate of a reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can speed up the reaction without being consumed itself.

3. How do I determine the rate law for a chemical reaction?

The rate law for a chemical reaction can be determined experimentally by varying the concentrations of reactants and measuring the resulting rate of reaction. The overall rate law can then be determined by analyzing the data and determining the exponents for each reactant concentration.

4. What is the difference between a zero-order and first-order reaction?

In a zero-order reaction, the rate of the reaction is independent of the concentration of the reactant. In a first-order reaction, the rate is directly proportional to the concentration of the reactant. This means that as the concentration of the reactant increases, so does the rate of the reaction.

5. How does a catalyst affect the rate of a reaction?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction without being consumed itself. It does this by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. This allows the reaction to happen more quickly, resulting in an increase in the reaction rate.