Gen Chem: Solubility Homework - Dissolving 1.49 L of Gas

In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, to dissolve 1.49 L of a gas with a Henry's law constant of 0.150 M/atm at a pressure of 720 torr and temperature of 14 C, you would need about 1.48 L of water. This can be calculated by using the definition of molar concentration and the ideal gas law, PV=NRT.
ttiger2k7

Homework Statement

A gas has a Henry's law constant of 0.150 M/atm. How much water would be needed to completely dissolve 1.49 L of the gas at a pressure of 720 torr and temp of 14 C.

Homework Equations

m = amount solute (in mol)/mass solvent(in kg)
M = amount solute (in mol)/volume solution (in L)
Henry's Law: [tex]S_{gas} = k_{H}*P_{gas}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Convert torr to atm:

[tex]S_{gas} = k_{H}*P_{gas}[/tex]
[tex]S_{gas} = .150 M/atm*(720/760) atm[/tex]
[tex]S_{gas} = .1421 M[/tex]

[tex].1420 \frac{mol}{L} = \frac{?}{1.49 L}[/tex]

1.49 L of this gas contains .2117 moles.

That's where I get stuck. Not sure about the dissolving portion of this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im stuck on an almost identical problem. If I no one posts a solution I will go in tomorrow and get help and post the solution here.

You know the molar concentration of the gas in solution, you know number of moles of the gas, just use definition of molar concentration.

I don't understand. It seems straightforward enough, .1421 moles of gas can be in 1 liter of water. there are .2117 moles. So about 1.48 L of water should disolve the gas. I use this approach but the answer isn't right...

Approach is correct, but it looks to me like you have confused volumes.

1.49 L of gas at 14 deg C and 720 torr is NOT 0.2117 mole.

PV=NRT! Thanks!

Ah, got it.

Related to Gen Chem: Solubility Homework - Dissolving 1.49 L of Gas

1. What is the definition of solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in a solvent. It is usually measured in terms of the maximum amount of solute that can be dissolved in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. How is solubility affected by temperature?

In general, solubility increases with temperature for solid solutes, but decreases with temperature for gas solutes. This is due to the fact that increasing temperature increases the kinetic energy of particles, causing them to move more and break apart the bonds holding the solute particles together. However, for some substances, such as gases, solubility may decrease with increasing temperature due to the decrease in pressure as temperature increases.

3. What factors affect the solubility of a gas?

The solubility of a gas is affected by the pressure of the gas, the temperature of the solvent, and the type of gas and solvent involved. Generally, as pressure increases, solubility also increases. As temperature increases, solubility decreases for gases with low solubility and increases for gases with high solubility. The type of gas and solvent also play a role, as their molecular structures can affect how readily they dissolve in each other.

4. What is the process of dissolving gas in a liquid?

Dissolving gas in a liquid involves the gas molecules colliding with the surface of the liquid and being pulled into the liquid by intermolecular forces. These forces pull the gas molecules apart, allowing them to mix with the liquid molecules. As more gas molecules enter the liquid, they continue to spread out and mix evenly throughout the liquid, resulting in a solution.

5. How is gas solubility measured and reported?

Gas solubility is typically measured in terms of the molar solubility, which is the number of moles of gas that can be dissolved in one liter of solvent. It can also be reported as the volume percent, which is the volume of gas dissolved in a given volume of liquid. Gas solubility can also be represented by a solubility curve, which shows the relationship between solubility and temperature/pressure for a specific gas-solvent system.