Ge force 2 monitor refresh rate fuziness above 60 Hz

In summary: The Mitsubishi Diamondplus 230sb monitor is a great monitor, but it doesn't work well with a GeForce 2 MX 400 card. Higher refresh rates are not as good as lower rates, and 60hz is only slightly blurred. Your friends' P3 system and 97 Toshiba 17" monitor work just fine with their ATI Rage Pro card, even though that card is a generation older than the P233 system. It's possible that the old ATI card is accelerated, but it's also possible that something is wrong with the card or with your computer.

Do you think I'm being too picky over this?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Need to see before deciding

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
callancool
This is very technical. I've just got hold of a lovely Mitsubishi Diamondplus 230 sb monitor. It's only 2 years old and still under warranty. However I have a serious compatibility problem with my GeForce 2 MX 400 card. Thescreen luks fuzzy, not blurred at any refresh rate over 60 hz. In fact 60 hz is only slightly blurred and most folks would not notice. The higher you go in Hz, the worse it gets. In fact for me any rate over 60 is not good. Links 03 golf looks very poor whatever refresh rate is set (I think the game sets its own refresh rate)Mitsubishi support say should be pin sharp at all refresh rates. I am running at 1280 x 768. lower resolutions give sharper text but refresh rate problems persist. Some might say I'm being picky, but I'm not. Let me explain. I tried 3 monitors on my system last night, and put my monitor on another system too. Here are the results.:
GeForce 2 card. Win 98
Diamond plus 230 SB 22" - fuzzy above 60hz.
Diamond Pro 92 19" similar to a lesser extent, superb sharpness on 60hz.
Siemens 19p10 similar to an even lesser extent but not as sharp at 60Hz as D-pro 92 yet sharper at higher resolutions.

ATI Rage II 64 card (m_64) in a P233 system - win ME:
Diamond plus 230 sb - pin sharp and rock steady at all resolutions - 120 Hz included.

I'm stumped as to why this is. Could it be a faulty card or a driver problem? Could it be a cable problem? I was round my friends tonight, he has a P3 system (500 MHZ I think) and a 97 Toshiba 17" monitor. HIs ATI Rage Pro card (3d acellerated I think because Tiger woods 2001 detected the card as a 3d card) did the same with his monitor, though not as badly. Could it be the fact it's a 3d card? Is the old ati card £D accelerated or not? Has anyone any solutions as I'm almost tearing my hair out? I'm thinking of ditching the card for a basic radeon.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You need to upgrade your Geforce 2 MX card. It is probably equivalent to a Nvidia TNT. Whenver Nvidia tacks on MX to any of their cards it means that the card is a generation older than the front part of the name. For example, a Geforce 4 MX is really a regular old Geforce 3.

That being said, you definitely need to look into upgrading your graphics card.

Based on the information provided, it seems like there could be a few potential issues causing the fuzziness above 60 Hz on your Mitsubishi monitor with the GeForce 2 MX 400 card. Here are a few possibilities:

1. Faulty card or driver problem: It's possible that there could be an issue with the graphics card itself or with the driver that is causing the fuzziness at higher refresh rates. You mentioned trying the monitor on another system with a different graphics card and it worked fine, so this would suggest that the issue is specific to the GeForce 2 card.

2. Cable problem: Another potential culprit could be the cable connecting the monitor to the graphics card. If the cable is damaged or of poor quality, it could be causing the fuzziness at higher refresh rates. You could try using a different cable to see if that makes a difference.

3. 3D acceleration: It's also possible that the 3D acceleration on the GeForce 2 card could be causing issues with the monitor's refresh rate. This could explain why the ATI Rage II 64 card in your friend's system did not have the same problem. You could try disabling the 3D acceleration on the GeForce 2 card to see if that improves the display.

4. Compatibility issue: It's possible that there could be a compatibility issue between the GeForce 2 card and the Mitsubishi monitor. This could be due to differences in the way the two devices handle refresh rates. In this case, switching to a different graphics card, such as a Radeon, could potentially solve the problem.

Overall, it's difficult to determine the exact cause of the issue without more information and troubleshooting. It may be helpful to contact the manufacturer of the graphics card for assistance or try updating the drivers to see if that improves the display. If all else fails, switching to a different graphics card may be the best solution.

Related to Ge force 2 monitor refresh rate fuziness above 60 Hz

1. What is the recommended refresh rate for a Ge force 2 monitor?

The recommended refresh rate for a Ge force 2 monitor is 60 Hz. This is the standard refresh rate for most monitors and provides a smooth and clear display.

2. Can the refresh rate on a Ge force 2 monitor be increased above 60 Hz?

Yes, the refresh rate on a Ge force 2 monitor can be increased above 60 Hz. However, this may result in a fuzzy or distorted display as the monitor is not designed to handle higher refresh rates.

3. How can I adjust the refresh rate on my Ge force 2 monitor?

To adjust the refresh rate on a Ge force 2 monitor, go to the display settings on your computer and select the monitor. From there, you can choose the desired refresh rate and apply the changes.

4. Why is a higher refresh rate than 60 Hz not recommended for a Ge force 2 monitor?

A higher refresh rate than 60 Hz is not recommended for a Ge force 2 monitor because it can cause the monitor to overwork and potentially damage the display. It may also result in a lower quality image and strain on the eyes.

5. Are there any benefits to increasing the refresh rate on a Ge force 2 monitor?

Increasing the refresh rate on a Ge force 2 monitor may provide a smoother and more responsive display, especially when playing fast-paced games or watching high-speed videos. However, it is important to note the potential risks and limitations mentioned above.

Back