Gauss's law in cgs unit system

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a constant parallel to the permittivity in the Gauss law in c.g.s. It mentions the transformation of the Coulomb's constant k to ##\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}## and the need for the ##\frac{1}{4\pi}## term in order to cancel with the area of a sphere. It also talks about the Coulomb's law in c.g.s and the electric field around a point charge.
Karol

Homework Statement

Is there a constant parrallel to the ε0 permittivity in the Gauss law in c.g.s?

Homework Equations

Coulomb force in m.k.s: ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\frac{qq'}{r^2}##
Coulomb force in c.g.s: ##F=\frac{qq'}{r^2}##
Gauss's law in m.k.s: ##\frac{N}{A}=\varepsilon_0 E##

The Attempt at a Solution

The Coulomb's constant k was transformed to ##\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}## in order that the number of field lines N extruding from a surpace round a point charge will equal the net chrage inside the surface:
[tex]\frac{N}{A}=\varepsilon_0 E\rightarrow \frac{N}{4\pi r^2}=\varepsilon_0 \frac{q}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 r^2}\rightarrow N=q[/tex]
So the ##\frac{1}{4\pi}## term was chosen for that in order to cancel with the area of a sphere.
I think, in order that N=q will be also in c.g.s we also need ##\frac{1}{4\pi}## term:
Coulomb's law in c.g.s: ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi B}\frac{qq'}{r^2}\rightarrow \frac{1}{4\pi B}=1##

Physics news on Phys.org
In the cgs system, the Coulomb force is ##F=\frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2} ##,
ε0=1, D=εE in materials, D=E in vacuum.
Gauss' Law for a single point charge in vacuum ##\oint{E_n dA} = 4\pi q_{enclosed}##

I don't know yet this integral.
So i am right, right? Coulomb's law in c.g.s: ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{qq'}{r^2}##

Karol said:
I don't know yet this integral.
So i am right, right? Coulomb's law in c.g.s: ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{qq'}{r^2}##
No. ##F=\frac{qq'}{r^2}##
The electric field around a point charge q is radial, and the magnitude is E=q/r2. Integrating is to a sphere of radius r, with the charge in the centre is (4πr2)E = 4πq

I can confirm that there is indeed a constant parallel to the ε0 permittivity in Gauss's law in the cgs unit system. This constant is represented by the value of 1/4π in the cgs version of Coulomb's law. This constant is necessary in order for the number of field lines N to equal the net charge inside the surface, as described in Gauss's law. Without this constant, the equation would not hold true. Therefore, it is important to include this constant in the cgs version of Gauss's law.

Related to Gauss's law in cgs unit system

1. What is Gauss's law in the cgs unit system?

Gauss's law in the cgs unit system is a fundamental law in physics that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges in a given region of space. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the total charge enclosed by that surface.

2. How is Gauss's law expressed in the cgs unit system?

In the cgs unit system, Gauss's law is expressed as:

∮E⋅dA = 4πQ

where E is the electric field, dA is the differential area element, and Q is the total charge enclosed by the closed surface.

3. What are the units of electric field in the cgs unit system?

In the cgs unit system, the unit of electric field is the statvolt per centimeter (statV/cm).

4. How is electric charge measured in the cgs unit system?

In the cgs unit system, electric charge is measured in the unit of statcoulomb (statC). One statC is equivalent to approximately 3.3356 x 10^-10 coulombs.

5. Can Gauss's law be used in any other unit system?

Yes, Gauss's law can be used in any unit system as long as the units of electric field and charge are consistent. However, the cgs unit system is commonly used in electromagnetism because it simplifies the equations and allows for easier calculations.