Gauss's Law and nonconducting spherical shell

In summary, using Gauss's law, we can derive equations for the magnitude of the electric field at different radial distances from the center of a non-conducting spherical shell with uniform charge density ρ. For regions A and B, we can use the equation E = ρr/ε_0 to find the electric field, while for region C, we can use the equation E = ρr^3/3ε_0r^2. It is important to note that for region B, the electric field will be zero since there is no enclosed charge.
Edasaur

Homework Statement

A nonconducting spherical shell of inner radius R1 and outer radius R2 contains a uniform volume charge density ρ throughout the shell. Use Gauss's law to derive an equation for the magnitude of the electric field at the following radial distances r from the center of the sphere. Your answers should be in terms of ρ, R_1, R_2, r, ε_0, and π.

a) R_1 < r < R_2
b) r > R_2

Homework Equations

∫E dA = Q_enc/ε_0

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I tried using Gauss's law to find it and I arrived at:

E = [ρ(R_1)^3]/[3(ε_0)(r^2)]

For b), I also used Gauss's law to find:

[ρ(R_1)^3 + ρ(R_2)^3]/[3(ε_0)(r^2)]

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Edasaur said:

Homework Statement

A nonconducting spherical shell of inner radius R1 and outer radius R2 contains a uniform volume charge density ρ throughout the shell. Use Gauss's law to derive an equation for the magnitude of the electric field at the following radial distances r from the center of the sphere. Your answers should be in terms of ρ, R_1, R_2, r, ε_0, and π.

a) R_1 < r < R_2
b) r > R_2

Homework Equations

∫E dA = Q_enc/ε_0

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I tried using Gauss's law to find it and I arrived at:

E = [ρ(R_1)^3]/[3(ε_0)(r^2)]

For b), I also used Gauss's law to find:

[ρ(R_1)^3 + ρ(R_2)^3]/[3(ε_0)(r^2)]

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong...
It's difficult to say what you are doing wrong, without having you give more detail regarding your steps in arriving at those solutions.

A non-conducting spherical shell carries a non-uniform charge density ρ=ρ0r1/r. Determine the electric field in the regions:
A) 0<r<r1
B)r1<r<r0
C)r>r0

r1 is radius to inside of shell. r0 is radius to outside of shell.

Related to Gauss's Law and nonconducting spherical shell

What is Gauss's Law and how does it relate to nonconducting spherical shells?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. In the case of a nonconducting spherical shell, the electric field inside the shell is zero, and the electric flux through the shell is proportional to the charge enclosed by it.

How can Gauss's Law be used to find the electric field inside a nonconducting spherical shell?

Gauss's Law can be used to find the electric field inside a nonconducting spherical shell by considering a Gaussian surface that encloses the charge distribution. Since the electric field inside the shell is zero, the electric flux through the Gaussian surface is also zero. This allows us to solve for the electric field at any point inside the shell.

Is Gauss's Law only applicable to nonconducting spherical shells?

No, Gauss's Law is applicable to any closed surface, regardless of its shape or whether it is conducting or nonconducting. However, in the case of a nonconducting spherical shell, the electric field inside the shell is always zero, making calculations simpler.

What is the difference between a conducting and nonconducting spherical shell in terms of electric field?

A conducting spherical shell allows charges to move freely on its surface, while a nonconducting spherical shell does not. This means that a conducting shell will have a different electric field inside and outside the shell, while a nonconducting shell will have zero electric field inside and a non-zero electric field outside.

Can Gauss's Law be used to find the electric potential of a nonconducting spherical shell?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to find the electric potential of a nonconducting spherical shell by integrating the electric field over the surface of the shell. This allows us to determine the potential at any point inside or outside the shell, as long as we know the charge distribution on the shell's surface.