Gauss's Law and Finding the electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at two different radial distances from the central axis of two long charged, concentric cylinders. The charge per unit length and the radii of the cylinders are given, and the formula for electric field is discussed. The solution involves finding the surface area of the cylinders and using it to cancel out the height variable.
musicmar
Two long charged, concentric cylinders have radii of 3.0 and 6.0 cm. The charge per unit length is 5.0 x 10-6 C/m on the inner cylinder and -7.0 x 10-6 on the outer cylinder. Find the electric field at (a) r = 3.0 cm and (b) r = 8.0 cm, where r is the radial distance from the common central axis.

Homework Equations

ε0 ∮EdA = qenc
λ= Q/L

The Attempt at a Solution

EA = qenc0

E = λL/ π r2 ε0

From here, I don't know what to do with L. The height of the cylinder should be irrelevant, right?
I have another similar question using ρ and volume, leaving me with a height in the formula for the volume that I don't know what to do with.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
EA = qenc/ε0

this is the right formula, just make it clear, what A is.

ehild

I figured out what I was doing wrong. The area is the surface area of the cylinder, not the area of the base. So, L cancels when (2 pi r)h is in the denominator.

musicmar said:
I figured out what I was doing wrong. The area is the surface area of the cylinder, not the area of the base. So, L cancels when (2 pi r)h is in the denominator.

Well done!

ehild

Related to Gauss's Law and Finding the electric field

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the charge enclosed within a closed surface surrounding that point.

2. How is Gauss's Law used to find the electric field?

Gauss's Law can be used to find the electric field at a point by first choosing a closed surface that encloses the point of interest, calculating the net charge enclosed within that surface, and then using the equation E = Q/ε0A, where E is the electric field, Q is the enclosed charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the significance of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is significant because it is a powerful tool for calculating the electric field in situations with high symmetry, such as a point charge or a charged sphere. It also helps to understand the relationship between charge and electric field in electromagnetism.

4. Can Gauss's Law be applied to any shape or distribution of charge?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any shape or distribution of charge as long as the electric field is uniform over the chosen closed surface. However, for complex shapes or distributions, it may be more difficult to choose a suitable surface to apply the law.

5. Are there any limitations to Gauss's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to Gauss's Law. It only applies to static electric fields, not to time-varying or changing electric fields. It also assumes that the electric field is continuous and differentiable, which may not be the case in all situations. Additionally, Gauss's Law cannot be applied to magnetic fields.