Gaussian surfaces can someone help walk me through this problem?

In summary, the problem involves a solid insulating sphere with a net positive charge of 2 μC and a conducting spherical shell with a net charge of -1 μC. The task is to determine the net charge enclosed by various spherical gaussian surfaces, the direction and magnitude of electric field at different points, and the charge on the inner and outer surfaces of the conducting shell. A graph of the magnitude of electric field versus radius is also required. The formula used for calculating electric field is E=k(Q+q)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and q is the charge of the shell. However, for the first question, Q+q should be 1 μ
dswatson
Gaussian surfaces...need help...can someone help walk me through this problem??

A solid insulating sphere of radius 5 cm carries a net positive charge of 2 μC, uniformly distributed throughout its volume. Concentric with this sphere is a conducting spherical shell with inner radius 10 cm and outter radius 15 cm, having a net charge -1.00 μC. (a) Consider the spherical gaussian surface of radius 16.0 cm and find the net charge enclosed by this surface. (b) What is the direction of electric field at point D, to the right of the shell and at radius 16 cm. (c) Find the magnitude of electric field at point D. (d) Find the vector electric field at point C, and at radius 12 cm. (e) Consider the spherical gaussian surface through point C and find the net charge enclosed by this surface. (f) Consider a spherical gaussian surface of radius 8 cm and find the net charge enclosed by this surface. (g) Find the vector electric field at point B at radius 8 cm. (h) Consider a spherical gaussian surface through point A, at radius 4 cm and find the net charge enclosed by this surface. (i) Find the vector electric field at point A. (j) Determine the charge on the inner surface of the conducting shell. (k) Determine the charge on the outer surface of the conducting shell. (l) sketch a graph of the magnitude of the electric field versus r.

I would think that for (a) I would start with
E=k(Q+q)/r^2
=k([2]\mu[/C])/.16^2
=702345

I feel like this is completely wrong...can someone please help...I have a test coming up and this was the problem that my professor said we should be able to walk straight through with no problems and I'm completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org

The formula is good, but surely Q+q is 2 - 1 = 1 μC
so your answer is twice what it should be.

Related to Gaussian surfaces can someone help walk me through this problem?

What are Gaussian surfaces?

Gaussian surfaces are imaginary surfaces used in the study of electric fields. They are defined as a closed surface that encloses a charge or a group of charges.

How are Gaussian surfaces used?

Gaussian surfaces are used to simplify the calculation of electric fields. They allow for the application of Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

What are the properties of Gaussian surfaces?

Gaussian surfaces have several important properties, including being a closed surface, being symmetrical, and enclosing a charge or a group of charges. Additionally, the electric field is perpendicular to the surface at every point.

Can you provide an example of using a Gaussian surface?

One example of using a Gaussian surface is to calculate the electric field of a spherical charge distribution. By choosing a spherical Gaussian surface that encloses the charge distribution, the calculation of the electric field can be simplified using Gauss's Law.

What are some common mistakes when using Gaussian surfaces?

Some common mistakes when using Gaussian surfaces include not choosing a symmetrical surface, not accounting for the direction of the electric field, and not properly calculating the charge enclosed by the surface. It is important to carefully choose the Gaussian surface and understand the properties of electric fields in order to avoid these mistakes.