Gauss' Law With an Infinite Cylinder of Charge

In summary, the task was to find the potential difference between a point above an infinite cylinder of charge and a point on the surface of the cylinder. The solution involved using Gauss' law and integrating over the surface of the cylinder. The confusion arose from the use of the variable S, which represents the radius of the cylinder in this case.
Poop-Loops
[SOLVED] Gauss' Law With an Infinite Cylinder of Charge

Homework Statement

The test question was to find the potential difference between a point S above a cylinder of charger per length lambda, and a point on the surface of the cylinder having radius R and infinite length.

Homework Equations

Stupid me tried to grind through it during the test. But looking at the prof's solution:

http://www.phys.washington.edu/users/schick/321A/321-07exam1soln.pdf

Here's the test if you need to know the question how he worded it:

http://www.phys.washington.edu/users/schick/321A/321-07exam1.pdf

Problem #1.

I don't get how he got "E(s)*2pi*L*S

I get the 2pi and L come from integrating over phi and the length of the cylinder, but I can't figure out where that S came from.Is it because you'd need a cosine(theta) for the direction that the cylinder is from S? Where cosine is S/distance? Then wouldn't he have to add in a bunch of other stuff? I'm just not seeing something here and I feel embarrassed.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int E \cdot dA = EAcos(\Theta)[/tex]

Where [tex]\Theta[/tex] is the angle between the surface of the cylinder and the electric field.

Now, simplify this last expression. What is A? What is [tex]\Theta[/tex]?

Ohhhhhh I get it. A is 2pi*Length*radius, and he's just using S as the radius, since it shouldn't matter.

Gotcha, thanks a bunch.

Related to Gauss' Law With an Infinite Cylinder of Charge

1. What is Gauss' Law with an Infinite Cylinder of Charge?

Gauss' Law with an Infinite Cylinder of Charge is a mathematical equation that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is one of the four Maxwell's equations and is named after the German mathematician and physicist, Carl Friedrich Gauss.

2. How is Gauss' Law applied to an Infinite Cylinder of Charge?

When applying Gauss' Law to an Infinite Cylinder of Charge, the closed surface used is a cylindrical surface that is infinitely long and has a radius that is larger than the radius of the cylinder. The electric flux through this surface is then calculated to determine the charge enclosed by the cylinder.

3. What is the formula for Gauss' Law with an Infinite Cylinder of Charge?

The formula for Gauss' Law with an Infinite Cylinder of Charge is ΦE = qenc / ε0, where ΦE is the electric flux through the closed surface, qenc is the charge enclosed by the surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. What are the assumptions made when using Gauss' Law with an Infinite Cylinder of Charge?

There are two main assumptions made when using Gauss' Law with an Infinite Cylinder of Charge. First, the cylinder must have a constant charge density, meaning the charge per unit volume remains the same throughout the cylinder. Second, the electric field must be radially symmetric, meaning it only depends on the distance from the center of the cylinder.

5. What are the real-life applications of Gauss' Law with an Infinite Cylinder of Charge?

Gauss' Law with an Infinite Cylinder of Charge has many real-life applications, including in the design of electric motors and generators, as well as in the study of cylindrical conductors and capacitors. It is also commonly used in the analysis of charged particles in cylindrical geometries, such as in particle accelerators.