Gauss' Law between infinite plates

In summary, the problem involves calculating the electric field and potential difference between two infinite plates with a uniform charge density. The solution can be found by applying Gauss' Law and taking advantage of symmetry. The direction of the electric field can be determined by considering different points between the plates and using the symmetry of the problem. Care must be taken with the Gaussian surfaces, as they must enclose the charge between the plates. The solution can also be found by solving Poisson's equation.
flintbox

Homework Statement

The volume between two infinite plates located at x=L and x=-L respectively is filled with a uniform charge density ##\rho##. Calculate the electric field in the regions above, between and below the plates. Calculate the potential difference between the points x=-L and x=L.

Homework Equations

& attempt[/B]
I want to apply Gauss' Law, but I don't know how to. To me it seems that inside the plates, the charge enclosed is that of any surface, but I wouldn't know the flux of the electric field. I tried searching literature, but they all consider charged plates, whereas here, the plates are just boundaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Take advantage of symmetry. Imagine a Gaussian surface in the shape of a cube centered at x = 0.

Doc Al said:
Hint: Take advantage of symmetry. Imagine a Gaussian surface in the shape of a cube centered at x = 0.
But I am confused about the direction of the electric field inside the plates, since there is a charge density everywhere.

flintbox said:
But I am confused about the direction of the electric field inside the plates, since there is a charge density everywhere.
Other hint: consider any point exactly midway between the two plates, what can you say about the E field there?

Now, consider another point between the two plates but not exactly midway this time. You should be able to tell what the direction of the E field is, there. Using only the symmetry of the problem (consider the plates to be infinite).

flintbox said:
Take ##\rho## as positive. All that matters in the charge within your Gaussian surface. If the charge enclosed is positive, which way must the field point?

nrqed said:
Other hint: consider any point exactly midway between the two plates, what can you say about the E field there?

Now, consider another point between the two plates but not exactly midway this time. You should be able to tell what the direction of the E field is, there. Using only the symmetry of the problem (consider the plates to be infinite).
The E field just above the center points upward and the E field below downwards. Thank you! I think I can do it now.

Doc Al said:
Take ##\rho## as positive. All that matters in the charge within your Gaussian surface. If the charge enclosed is positive, which way must the field point?
Then the field points outwards! Thanks

Careful with the Gaussian surfaces! In addition to the volume charges there are also induced surface charges!

(This problem is also easily solved by solving Poisson's equation.)

I've used Gauss to determine the Electric field inside to be ##2\pi \rho x## (CGS units), but what about outside? I don't know how to apply Gauss since there is no charge enclosed.

Last edited by a moderator:
flintbox said:
I don't know how to apply Gauss since there is no charge enclosed.
If a Gaussian surface extends beyond the plates, then it encloses the charge between them.

flintbox said:
I've used Gauss to determine the Electric field inside to be $2\pi \rho x$ (CGS units), but what about outside? I don't know how to apply Gauss since there is no charge enclosed.
I can't read your post and I'd have to convert to SI.
Run a surface from inside one of the plates to any outside region. Remember what I said about surface charges ...

Related to Gauss' Law between infinite plates

1. What is Gauss' Law between infinite plates?

Gauss' Law between infinite plates is a mathematical equation that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface.

2. What are the assumptions made in Gauss' Law between infinite plates?

There are three main assumptions made in Gauss' Law between infinite plates: 1) the plates are perfectly parallel and infinite in size, 2) the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the plates, and 3) there are no other charges present outside of the plates.

3. How is Gauss' Law between infinite plates different from Gauss' Law in general?

Gauss' Law between infinite plates is a special case of Gauss' Law in general. It applies specifically to the scenario of two parallel, infinite plates with a constant electric field between them. In general, Gauss' Law applies to any closed surface and any charge distribution.

4. How can Gauss' Law between infinite plates be used to calculate the electric field between the plates?

Gauss' Law between infinite plates can be rearranged to solve for the electric field between the plates. By setting the electric flux equal to the charge enclosed divided by the permittivity of free space, the electric field can be calculated as E = Q/(ε0A), where Q is the charge enclosed and A is the area of the plates.

5. What are some real-world applications of Gauss' Law between infinite plates?

Gauss' Law between infinite plates has several applications in electrical engineering and physics. It can be used to design and analyze parallel plate capacitors, which are common components in electronic circuits. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of electric fields in parallel plate particle accelerators and ion traps.