Gauss Law and Flux for variable charge density in a sphere

In summary, the electric flux through a sphere with variable charge density ρ(r) = ar is given by |Φ| = 3a/ε0 (r⁶/6) and is directed radially outward.
engineer_ja
Gauss Law and Flux for variable charge density in a sphere

Homework Statement

The charge density within a sphere varies as a constant, a, times its radius, r. Find an expression for the direction and magnitude of the electric flux, D, within the sphere

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law
sphere volume = [itex]\frac{4}{3}[/itex] [itex]\pi[/itex] r[itex]^{3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have some difficulty understanding the question, but this is what I think I should do:

Charge Density = ar

Charge in volume moving from r to r+δr , δQ, is: ar x volume
=(4/3) [itex]\pi[/itex] ar [(r+δr)^3 - r^3)]
=(4/3) [itex]\pi[/itex] ar (3 r^2 δr) (ignoring double differentials as negligible)
=4 [itex]\pi[/itex] a r^3 δr

integrating from 0 to r(an arbitrary distance from centre) gives charge within that volume, Q:
Q = [itex]\pi[/itex] a r^4

Gauss Law says flux through an area is equal to charge enclosed so;
Magnitude of the flux ,D, = Q = [itex]\pi[/itex] a r^4
Direction is radially outward (assuming charge is positive). (not sure on how to argue this...)Notes: I have no idea if this is correct, or if I'm completely of the plot! any help greatly appreciated.
I thought D was the flux density, though the question calls it flux, so do I need to divide by area?

Thanks Everyone!...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Your approach is on the right track! Let me help you with the rest of the solution.

First, let's define the charge density, ρ, as a function of radius, r, within the sphere:

ρ(r) = ar

Now, let's consider a small element of the sphere with thickness δr and volume dV:

dV = 4πr²δr

The charge within this element is given by:

dq = ρ(r)dV = 4πar³δr

Now, we can use Gauss' Law to find the electric flux through a spherical surface of radius r:

Φ = ∫E⋅dA = Qenc / ε0

Where Qenc is the charge enclosed within the surface and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. Since the charge density is varying with radius, we need to integrate over the volume of the sphere from 0 to r:

Φ = ∫E⋅dA = ∫ρ(r)dV / ε0 = ∫0r 4πar³δr / ε0 = 4πa/ε0 ∫0r r³δr

Using the volume of a sphere formula, we can write this integral as:

Φ = 4πa/ε0 ∫0r (3/4πr³)(4πr²δr) = 3a/ε0 ∫0r r⁵δr = 3a/ε0 (r⁶/6)

Therefore, the magnitude of the electric flux through the sphere is:

|Φ| = 3a/ε0 (r⁶/6)

And the direction of the flux is radially outward, as you correctly pointed out.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Gauss Law and Flux for variable charge density in a sphere

1. What is Gauss Law and how does it apply to a sphere with variable charge density?

Gauss Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the total charge enclosed by that surface. In the case of a sphere with variable charge density, Gauss Law states that the electric flux through the sphere is equal to the total charge enclosed by the sphere divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How do you calculate the electric flux through a sphere with variable charge density?

To calculate the electric flux through a sphere with variable charge density, you can use the formula Φ = Q/ε, where Φ is the electric flux, Q is the total charge enclosed by the sphere, and ε is the permittivity of free space. This formula can also be written as Φ = ∫E ⋅ dA, where E is the electric field and dA is an infinitesimal area on the surface of the sphere.

3. Can Gauss Law and Flux be used for any shape, or only for spheres?

Gauss Law and Flux can be used for any shape, as long as the electric field and charge distribution are symmetric. In the case of a sphere with variable charge density, the symmetry allows us to use Gauss Law to easily calculate the electric flux through the sphere.

4. How is the electric field calculated for a sphere with variable charge density?

The electric field for a sphere with variable charge density can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge enclosed by the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere. This formula can also be written as E = Q/(4πεr²), where ε is the permittivity of free space.

5. What is the significance of Gauss Law and Flux in understanding the behavior of electric fields?

Gauss Law and Flux are important concepts in understanding the behavior of electric fields. They allow us to calculate the electric flux through a closed surface and relate it to the total charge enclosed by that surface. This helps us understand how electric fields are affected by the distribution of charges and how they behave in different situations, such as in the case of a sphere with variable charge density.