What if abortion was illegal in this circumstance?

• News
  • Thread starter lockecole
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether outlawing abortion for the poor would put an end to suffering. The speaker argues that the only important question in the abortion debate is whether an unborn fetus is a living person, and if so, abortion would be considered murder regardless of potential economic benefits.
lockecole
When the woman or family cannot afford to raise the child. Wouldn't this stop all suffering? I live in this universe, I came from this universe, when I die I will go back to the universe, then I will come back to life and I don't want to come back to a place where there is suffering!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand the question. How would outlawing abortion for the poor put an end to all suffering? Or perhaps you meant "if it were legal"?

Either way, the question is, IMHO, moot. I think the only question that means anything in the abortion debate is whether or not an unborn fetus is a living person. IOW, "is abortion killing?". I mean, driving around the streets of your hometown shooting the homeless would stop them from going through one more day of poverty, or from burdening the system. Regardless of these potential benifits, it would be wrong, because alleviating poverty by killing the poor is not an acceptable solution.

So if an unborn fetus is a living person, and abortion is murder (I'm not saying for certain it is or it isn't), then economic gain or loss becomes irrelevant.

There are a few important things to consider when discussing the legality of abortion in cases where the woman or family cannot afford to raise the child. First, making abortion illegal does not necessarily mean that it will stop all suffering. In fact, it can often lead to even more suffering for both the woman and the child. Women who are unable to access safe and legal abortions may turn to dangerous and potentially life-threatening methods to terminate their pregnancies. And children born into families that cannot afford to raise them may face a lifetime of poverty and struggle.

Furthermore, it is important to recognize that the decision to have an abortion is a deeply personal and complex one, and it should be left to the individual to make in consultation with their healthcare provider. It is not fair or just to force someone to carry a pregnancy to term against their will, especially if they are not in a position to provide for a child.

In terms of the idea of suffering in the universe, it is true that there is suffering in the world and it is a difficult reality to grapple with. However, it is not the responsibility of individuals to prevent all suffering in the world. Making abortion illegal in cases where the woman or family cannot afford to raise the child would only add to the suffering and injustices in the world. Instead, we should focus on creating a society that supports and empowers individuals to make the best decisions for themselves and their families, including the option of safe and legal abortion.

1. What would happen to women's health if abortion was illegal?

If abortion was made illegal, it would likely have negative impacts on women's health. With limited access to safe and legal abortions, women may turn to unsafe and potentially life-threatening methods to terminate a pregnancy. This could result in an increase in maternal deaths and complications.

2. How would making abortion illegal affect women's reproductive rights?

Making abortion illegal would greatly restrict women's reproductive rights. It would limit their ability to make decisions about their own bodies, and could lead to a lack of control over their own reproductive health. This could also have long-term consequences for women's economic, social, and educational opportunities.

3. What impact would outlawing abortion have on society?

The impact of outlawing abortion would likely be widespread and have significant social consequences. It could result in a rise in illegal and unsafe abortions, dividing communities and causing tension between those who support and oppose the ban. It could also perpetuate harmful stigmas and discrimination against women who seek abortions.

4. Would making abortion illegal decrease the number of abortions?

Studies have shown that making abortion illegal does not necessarily decrease the number of abortions. Instead, it often leads to an increase in unsafe and illegal abortions. This is because women will seek out other options when safe and legal abortions are not available to them. In fact, countries with strict abortion laws often have higher rates of unsafe abortions and maternal mortality.

5. What are the potential consequences for women in vulnerable populations if abortion was illegal?

If abortion was illegal, women in vulnerable populations, such as those living in poverty, those with limited access to healthcare, and those facing other social and economic challenges, may be disproportionately affected. They may not have the resources or support to obtain safe and legal abortions, leading to further disparities in healthcare and reproductive rights.