Gauging non-compact lie groups

In summary, gauging a non-compact lie group with a kinetic term of the form $\Tr{F^{\mu \nu} F_{\mu \nu}}$ is not allowed as it does not result in a positive definite Hamiltonian. However, it is possible to gauge non-compact lie groups using a kinetic term of the form $Q_{\alpha \beta} F^{\alpha}_{\mu \nu} F^{\beta}_{\eta \rho} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \eta \rho}$ with a specific choice of constant matrix Q. The motivation for this choice and the conditions on Q to obtain a non-topological term and positive definite Hamiltonian are still under investigation.
jarod765
I know that gauging a lie-goup with a kinetic term of the form:

\begin{equation}
\Tr{F^{\mu \nu} F_{\mu \nu} }
\end{equation}

Is not allowed for a non-compact lie group because it does not lead to a positive definite Hamiltonian. I was wondering if anyone knew of a general way to gauge non-compac lie groups. I know there must be a way since the Lorentz group can be gauged to give the Einstein Hilbert action.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have been reading a little about this and it seems that people can gauge non-compact lie groups with a kinetic term of the form:

\begin{equation}
Q_{\alpha \beta} F^{\alpha}_{\mu \nu} F^{\beta}_{\eta \rho} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \eta \rho}
\end{equation}

with a specific choice of constant matrix Q. My question now is, 1) what mathematically motivates the choice above and 2) what conditions on the matrix Q is there to obtain a non-topological term *and* a positive definite hamiltonian?

Related to Gauging non-compact lie groups

What is a non-compact Lie group?

A non-compact Lie group is a type of mathematical group that is infinite-dimensional and has a continuous symmetry. It is not bounded and does not have a finite number of elements.

What is the importance of gauging non-compact Lie groups?

Gauging non-compact Lie groups is important in theoretical physics as it allows for the study of non-compact symmetries in physical systems. It also has applications in quantum field theory and string theory.

How do you gauge a non-compact Lie group?

To gauge a non-compact Lie group, one must first choose a gauge group and a gauge connection. The gauge group is typically a compact Lie group, and the gauge connection is a mathematical object that describes the symmetry transformation of the group.

What are some examples of non-compact Lie groups?

Some examples of non-compact Lie groups include the Lorentz group, which describes the symmetries of special relativity, and the Poincaré group, which combines translations and Lorentz transformations. Other examples include the conformal group and the Virasoro algebra.

What are the applications of gauging non-compact Lie groups?

Gauging non-compact Lie groups has applications in various areas of mathematics and theoretical physics, including quantum field theory, string theory, and geometric analysis. It also has applications in describing symmetries in physical systems, such as in particle physics and condensed matter physics.