Gauge Continuity: Resources for Real Line Functions

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of gauges in studying continuity of functions on the real line, particularly in the context of gauge integration. A gauge is a strictly positive function defined on a closed and bounded interval, and a partition is considered \delta-fine if it satisfies certain conditions. The existence of \delta-fine partitions can be shown from the completeness of the real numbers. The continuity of a function on an interval induces a natural gauge, which can be used to prove various theorems such as the intermediate value theorem and uniform continuity. The approach of using gauges is relatively unexplored and the individual is looking for more resources on the topic. They are also interested in exploring the generalization of this approach to other spaces
zpconn
Is anyone familiar with any resources on the study of continuity of functions on the real line via gauges?

This is inspired by the gauge integral. Briefly, a gauge on a closed and bounded interval [tex]I \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/tex] is a strictly positive function [tex]\delta : I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Let [tex]\{(I_i,t_i)\}_{i=1}^n[/tex] be a tagged partition of [tex]I[/tex]; this partition is [tex]\delta[/tex]-fine if [tex]I_i \subset [t_i - \delta(t_i), t_i + \delta(t_i)][/tex]; the existence of [tex]\delta[/tex]-fine partitions for any gauge [tex]\delta[/tex] can be shown from the completeness of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex].

Continuity of [tex]f[/tex] on [tex]I = [a,b][/tex] induces a natural gauge for each [tex]\epsilon[/tex] (fix a point [tex]t \in I[/tex] and an [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]; then the [tex]\delta[/tex] corresponding to [tex]x \in I[/tex] is defined to be the value of the gauge at [tex]x[/tex]). From this particular gauge many standard theorems can be proved, e.g., the intermediate value theorem or the fact that a continuous function on a closed, bounded interval is uniformly continuous. Most remarkable is how short the proofs are. Many are nearly immediate, at least compared to the standard proofs I've been exposed to before.

I've found this approach really interesting and have been looking for more resources on it. I wonder if continuity can be defined in terms of gauges. And I wonder how well this generalizes (say to metric or topological spaces).

Anyone know about this? Thanks!

Edit:

I'm wanting to find as many resources on this since it seems to be a relatively unexplored topic and am planning to author an expository article discussing it, unless to my surprise I find many such articles which heretofore appear to be nonexistent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps related to "modulus of continuity".

Related to Gauge Continuity: Resources for Real Line Functions

1. What is gauge continuity?

Gauge continuity refers to the ability of a function to maintain a consistent behavior over the entire real line. This means that the function must be continuous at every point, and its behavior cannot change drastically as the input values increase or decrease.

2. Why is gauge continuity important in science?

Gauge continuity is important because it ensures that a function is well-behaved and can be reliably used in mathematical models and calculations. It also allows for better understanding and prediction of real-world phenomena.

3. How is gauge continuity different from other types of continuity?

Gauge continuity is a more strict form of continuity compared to pointwise or uniform continuity. While pointwise continuity only requires the function to be continuous at each individual point, and uniform continuity requires the function to maintain a consistent behavior over a given interval, gauge continuity requires both of these conditions to hold true for the entire real line.

4. What are some examples of functions that exhibit gauge continuity?

Some common examples of functions that exhibit gauge continuity include linear functions, quadratic functions, and trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. These functions have smooth and consistent behavior over the entire real line.

5. How can gauge continuity be tested or proven?

To test for gauge continuity, one can use the epsilon-delta definition of continuity. This involves setting a small tolerance (epsilon) and finding a corresponding interval (delta) where the function remains within that tolerance. If such an interval exists for every point on the real line, then the function is considered gauge continuous.