Gases Homework Help - Calculating Moles & Explaining Water Vapour Pressure

That gives you the ability to calculate the number of moles of hydrogen gas produced.In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry experiment involving the reaction between magnesium and HCl acid, resulting in the production of hydrogen gas. The volume and temperature of the gas are measured, along with the barometric pressure and vapor pressure of water. The questions asked pertain to calculating the number of moles of hydrogen gas produced, the purpose of providing the vapor pressure of water, and the significance of adjusting the water levels in the collection tube. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of pressure in determining the properties of a gas system.
vijay123
heres a question-(tough one)..i jus wunna check my answer..

a small sample of magnesium was placed into a reaction flask as shown. HCL acid was added and the hydrogen gas generated wus bubbled through water into a gas collection tube.when the reaction reached completion, the gas collection tube wus nearly full. then gas was allowed to sit for several minutes. the collection tube wus then adjusted so that the level of water in the tube was equal to the level of water outside the tube. the vol. of gas was determined to be 32ml and the temp. of the water was 22(degress)celsisus. the barometric pressure in the lab. was 750mmhg. the vapour pressure of water at 22(degress)celsisus is 19.4mmhg.
1)calculate the no. of moles of hydrogen gas produced.(my ans. is 0.00127moles).
2)explain why the vapour pressure of water was given.
3)explain why it was necessary to adjeust the level of the tube so that water levels inside and outside of it were the same.

regards
vijay

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, at 22°C there will be water vapor (and maybe some HCl, but that may be negligible) in the gas collected in the collection tube, especially since one is bubbling through water.

3)explain why it was necessary to adjeust the level of the tube so that water levels inside and outside of it were the same.
What would one have to do if the water level in the collection tube was not the same? When the water levels are the same, what does that indicate about the pressure inside the collection tube in relationship to the barometric pressure in the lab (750mmHg)?

so are you syaing that the pressure inside and outside the collecting tube is 750mmhg?

vijay123 said:
1)calculate the no. of moles of hydrogen gas produced.(my ans. is 0.00127moles).
I don't have my calculator so I can't do a number crunch to check that

You are given the partial pressure of water because the pressure in a system is a sum of everything in the system.
HCl pressure + water vapour pressure = system pressure

When the water levels match, you can say the pressures match. From there you can say the pressure inside your system is 750mm. Subtract your water pressure and you'll know your HCl gas pressure.

Related to Gases Homework Help - Calculating Moles & Explaining Water Vapour Pressure

1. What is the formula for calculating moles?

The formula for calculating moles is: number of moles = mass of substance / molar mass of substance. This formula is also known as the mole calculation formula.

2. How do you calculate the molar mass of a substance?

The molar mass of a substance can be calculated by adding up the atomic masses of all the elements present in the substance. The atomic mass can be found on the periodic table.

3. What is the significance of calculating moles in chemistry?

Calculating moles is important in chemistry because it allows us to convert between mass and number of particles of a substance. This helps in determining the amount of reactants needed and the amount of products that will be produced in a chemical reaction.

4. What is water vapour pressure and why is it important?

Water vapour pressure is the pressure exerted by water molecules in a gaseous state. It is important because it affects the weather and climate, as well as the boiling and freezing points of water. It is also used in various industrial and scientific processes.

5. How does temperature affect the water vapour pressure?

As temperature increases, the water vapour pressure also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, more water molecules have enough energy to escape into the gas phase, increasing the pressure. Conversely, at lower temperatures, the water vapour pressure decreases.