Gas Turbine TS Cycle: Understanding the Significance of Points 5-5b and 5b-6

In summary, the conversation is discussing the significance of segments 5-5b and 5b-6 in a TS diagram. The conversation participants are unsure of their meaning and are trying to determine the difference between points 7 and 7b. It is speculated that points 5b and 7b may refer to another problem and that point 6-7 represents ideal heat exchange while 6-7b represents actual expansion. The image attached may be too large and causing the rest of the page to shrink.
influx

Homework Statement

3f90e9.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused what 5-5b and 5b-6 represent in the above TS diagram. I know that 1-2 is compression, 2-3 is cooling, 3-4 is compression and 4-5 is regeneration (since these are indicated in the block diagram) but as for 5-5b and 5b-6 it is less clear. I mean 5-6 is the combustion chamber but what is the significance of the 5-5b and 5b-6 segments? Why have they split it up like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking over the diagram perhaps if you can explain what's different between 7 and 7b, you might have your answer for 5b?

Beyond this I can't assist; I haven't looked at thermo since my student days.

NascentOxygen said:
Looking over the diagram perhaps if you can explain what's different between 7 and 7b, you might have your answer for 5b?

Beyond this I can't assist; I haven't looked at thermo since my student days.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't get that part either lol. Haven't encountered it in examples provided by my lecturer so far.

My guess is that if 6-7 represents the ideal heat exchange, then perhaps 6-7b represents a practical best attainable for that stage. You can't extract all of the heat in a heat exchanger.

I think the image you attached might be too large, it spills out and forces the rest of the page into small size.

My view was that 6-7 represents isentropic expansion in the turbine and 6 - 7b the actual expansion. So 5b might ne needed for the efficiency.

Is it possible that the points 5b and 7b refer to another problem?

Related to Gas Turbine TS Cycle: Understanding the Significance of Points 5-5b and 5b-6

1. How does a gas turbine work in a TS cycle?

A gas turbine in a TS cycle works by taking in air and compressing it, then mixing it with fuel and igniting it in a combustion chamber. The resulting hot gases expand and drive the turbine, which is connected to a generator to produce electricity. The exhaust gases are then released into a heat exchanger, where they are used to heat water and produce steam, which in turn drives a steam turbine for additional power generation.

2. What is the efficiency of a gas turbine in a TS cycle?

The efficiency of a gas turbine in a TS cycle can vary depending on various factors such as the design of the turbine, the temperature and pressure of the gases, and the type of fuel used. However, on average, gas turbines in a TS cycle have an efficiency of around 35-40%, meaning that 35-40% of the energy in the fuel is converted into electricity.

3. What are the advantages of using a gas turbine in a TS cycle?

Gas turbines in a TS cycle offer several advantages, including high efficiency, low emissions, and flexibility in fuel options. They also have a relatively compact size compared to other power generation technologies, making them ideal for use in areas with limited space. Additionally, gas turbines can be started up quickly and can ramp up or down their power output easily, making them suitable for use in balancing the grid during times of fluctuating demand.

4. How does the temperature difference affect the performance of a gas turbine in a TS cycle?

The temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of a gas turbine in a TS cycle is known as the temperature ratio. This temperature ratio has a significant impact on the performance of the turbine, as a higher temperature ratio results in a higher thermal efficiency and power output. However, if the temperature ratio is too high, it can lead to issues such as material degradation and reduced turbine lifespan.

5. What are some common applications of gas turbines in a TS cycle?

Gas turbines in a TS cycle are commonly used for power generation in various industries, including electricity generation, oil and gas, and manufacturing. They can also be used for combined heat and power (CHP) systems, where the heat from the exhaust gases is used for heating or cooling buildings. Additionally, gas turbines can be used in aviation for aircraft propulsion and in marine vessels for propulsion or electricity generation.