Gas Stoichiometry: Find Molecular Formula of CHCl

• Thread starter magma_saber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the molecular formula of a compound with the empirical formula CHCl. The given information includes a 256 mL flask with 0.800 g of the compound at 373 K and 750. torr, and the equation PV=nRT. The conversation also mentions an important property of substances that combines moles and grams, and the need to calculate the mass of other numbers of moles of the same substance.
magma_saber

Homework Statement

A compound has the empirical formula CHCl. A 256 mL flask, at 373 K and 750. torr, contains 0.800 g of the gaseous compound. Give the molecular formula.

Homework Equations

Only equation i know that relates to this is PV=nRT.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the right equation. Plug in all the numbers you can into it, and see what happens.

All that will give me is "n." what good does that do?

n and 0.8 g - combine these two numbers.

how does that give me the molecular formula? I'm still lost...

The empirical formula is CHCl. Given that, what are the possible molecular formulas?

magma_saber said:
how does that give me the molecular formula? I'm still lost...

Check what it does give you. Very important property of substance.

Borek said:
n and 0.8 g - combine these two numbers.

By this do you mean add n and 0.8? If so then i get 0.808. now what?

No, I didn't told you have to add them. Look at the units - one is number of moles, second is grams. You can't add them just like that.

There is a very important property of each reagent that combines moles and grams, and is extensively used in all almost chemical calculations. Seems to me like you have calculated that 0.008 mole is 0.8 g. Can you calculate now mass of other number of moles of the same substance?

Related to Gas Stoichiometry: Find Molecular Formula of CHCl

What is gas stoichiometry?

Gas stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction involving gases. It involves using the principles of stoichiometry, which is the quantitative study of reactants and products in a chemical reaction, to calculate the amounts of gases involved in a reaction.

What is the molecular formula of CHCl?

The molecular formula of CHCl is the chemical formula that represents the number and types of atoms present in one molecule of a compound. In the case of CHCl, the formula indicates that there is one carbon atom, one hydrogen atom, and one chlorine atom in each molecule.

How do you find the molecular formula of CHCl?

To find the molecular formula of CHCl, you need to know the molar mass of the compound and the percentage composition of each element. The molar mass can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element in the compound. Then, using the percentage composition, you can determine the number of moles of each element and use this information to write the molecular formula.

What is the difference between empirical and molecular formulas?

The empirical formula of a compound is the simplest whole number ratio of the atoms present in a molecule. It does not necessarily represent the actual number of atoms in a molecule. The molecular formula, on the other hand, represents the actual number of each type of atom in a molecule. It can be the same as or a multiple of the empirical formula.

Can the molecular formula of a compound be determined from its empirical formula?

Yes, the molecular formula of a compound can be determined from its empirical formula. This can be done by calculating the molar mass of the empirical formula and comparing it to the actual molar mass of the compound. If the molar mass of the empirical formula is a factor of the actual molar mass, then the molecular formula can be determined by multiplying the subscripts in the empirical formula by that factor.