Gas Molecules in an Electric Arc

In summary, when exposed to an electric arc, oxygen molecules turn into ozone while methane molecules turn into acetelyene. However, some methane may also end up as CO2 and H2O, and converting methane to acetelyene requires extreme plasma conditions. Additionally, the process may result in the production of NOx. In an atmosphere consisting solely of the gas, a propane torch can be ignited with a 2000v arc, reducing the need for matches.
JGM_14
What exactly happens to the gas molecules in an electric arc? Oxygen turns to ozone, methane turns to acetelyene.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I imagine quite few of them burn.
So most methane probably ends up as CO2 + H2O, you can convert methane to acetelyene + hydrogen but I think you need pretty extreme plasma conditions.
You probably make quite a lot of NOx as well

mgb_phys said:
I imagine quite few of them burn.
So most methane probably ends up as CO2 + H2O, you can convert methane to acetelyene + hydrogen but I think you need pretty extreme plasma conditions.
You probably make quite a lot of NOx as well

I mean like in an atmosphere comprised soley of that gas.:rolleyes:
I light propane torch most of the time with a 2000v arc, saves on matches.

JGM_14 said:
I mean like in an atmosphere comprised soley of that gas.:rolleyes:

vs your original post...

What exactly happens to the gas molecules in an electric arc? Oxygen turns to ozone, methane turns to acetelyene.

Is oxygen in your 'atmosphere comprised soley of that gas.:rolleyes:'?

Only 21%:rolleyes:

Related to Gas Molecules in an Electric Arc

1. What is an electric arc and how does it form?

An electric arc is a luminous discharge of electricity that occurs between two electrodes. It forms when a high voltage is applied to a gap between two conductors, causing a flow of current through the air. This creates a plasma channel, which emits light and heat energy.

2. What are gas molecules and how do they behave in an electric arc?

Gas molecules are made up of atoms that are constantly moving and colliding with each other. In an electric arc, the high voltage causes the gas molecules to become ionized, meaning they lose or gain electrons. This creates a plasma state, where the gas molecules are able to conduct electricity and emit light.

3. What is the role of gas molecules in the formation of an electric arc?

Gas molecules play a crucial role in the formation of an electric arc. When the high voltage is applied, the gas molecules become ionized and form a plasma channel, which allows the current to flow and creates the arc. The gas molecules also emit light and heat energy, making the electric arc visible and hot.

4. How does the composition of gas molecules affect the behavior of an electric arc?

The composition of gas molecules can greatly impact the behavior of an electric arc. Different types of gas molecules have different ionization potentials, meaning they require varying amounts of energy to become ionized. This can affect the stability and intensity of the arc, as well as the color of the light emitted.

5. What are some applications of studying gas molecules in an electric arc?

Studying gas molecules in an electric arc has many practical applications. It can help in the development and improvement of welding and cutting processes, as well as in the design of electric arc furnaces for metal production. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of lightning and other high voltage phenomena in the atmosphere.