Gas Laws - What is the final pressure in the system?

In summary: I understand it now. In summary, the final pressure in the system is 3.18 x 10^4 Pa, and this is determined by using the relationship PV = nRT and the given information about the initial conditions and volumes of the two vessels. The calculation can be done without knowing the mass of the helium, as the number of moles and gas identity can be used to find the mass.
Priyadarshini

Homework Statement

Two glass vessels M and N are connected by a closed valve.
M contains helium at 20 °C at a pressure of 1 × 10^5 Pa. N has been evacuated, and has three times the volume of M. In an experiment, the valve is opened and the temperature of the whole apparatus is raised to 100 °C.
What is the final pressure in the system?
A 3.18 × 10^4 Pa
B 4.24 × 10^4 Pa
C 1.25 × 10^5 Pa
D 5.09 × 10^5 Pa

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
Where R=8.31J/Kmol

The Attempt at a Solution

For M
T=20 °C = 298 K
P= 10^5 Pa
V= x
For N
V =3x
T =100°C = 373K
Now do I find the change in the T and V and use PV=nRT to calculate the change in the P and then find the final P? But I do not know the mass of helium, so I can not find the number of moles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Priyadarshini said:

Homework Statement

Two glass vessels M and N are connected by a closed valve.
M contains helium at 20 °C at a pressure of 1 × 10^5 Pa. N has been evacuated, and has three times the volume of M. In an experiment, the valve is opened and the temperature of the whole apparatus is raised to 100 °C.
What is the final pressure in the system?
A 3.18 × 10^4 Pa
B 4.24 × 10^4 Pa
C 1.25 × 10^5 Pa
D 5.09 × 10^5 Pa

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
Where R=8.31J/Kmol

The Attempt at a Solution

For M
T=20 °C = 298 K
P= 10^5 Pa
V= x
For N
V =3x
T =100°C = 373K
Now do I find the change in the T and V and use PV=nRT to calculate the change in the P and then find the final P? But I do not know the mass of helium, so I can not find the number of moles.
You'll have to work out the mass of the helium given the initial conditions and the fact that vessel M has a fixed volume, VM. The mass will be in terms of VM. You are given the volume of vessel N, VN, in terms of VM.

Try to express the number of moles of helium in terms of V (initial volume) and see, if it doesn't cancel out in the final formula.

SteamKing said:
You'll have to work out the mass of the helium given the initial conditions and the fact that vessel M has a fixed volume, VM. The mass will be in terms of VM. You are given the volume of vessel N, VN, in terms of VM.
What is the relation between mass and volume? Mass remains constant, irrespective of the gas, but how do I find the mass in terms of Vm?

Borek said:
Try to express the number of moles of helium in terms of V (initial volume) and see, if it doesn't cancel out in the final formula.
But I don't know the mass. What is the relation between mass and volume?

Priyadarshini said:
What is the relation between mass and volume? Mass remains constant, irrespective of the gas, but how do I find the mass in terms of Vm?
That's what the gas law is telling you: PV = n RT, or n / V = P / RT

Priyadarshini said:
But I don't know the mass.

You don't need mass, number of moles is enough. But actually you don't need it either, as in the end it should cancel out, and you should be able to express the final result using given information.

What is the relation between mass and volume?

Once you know number of moles and gas identity, calculating mass is trivial. What is molar mass of helium?

Borek said:
You don't need mass, number of moles is enough. But actually you don't need it either, as in the end it should cancel out, and you should be able to express the final result using given information.
Once you know number of moles and gas identity, calculating mass is trivial. What is molar mass of helium?
Okay so,
n= mass/4
then using n/V=P/RT
(m/4)/V=10^5/8.31x298
(m/4)/V=40.3815
Where V is the the volume of N
and when the gas expands into M, its volume is 4V of n
So,
(m/4)/4V=P/8.31x373
40.3815/4=P/8.31x373
P= 31800 (approx.) which is 3.18 x 10^4 Pa, option (A)
Thank you, the answer matched!

SteamKing said:
That's what the gas law is telling you: PV = n RT, or n / V = P / RT
Thanks!

Related to Gas Laws - What is the final pressure in the system?

1. How do you calculate the final pressure in a gas system?

The final pressure in a gas system can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P1 and T1 are the initial pressure and temperature, and P2 and T2 are the final pressure and temperature.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used to determine final pressure?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. By rearranging the equation to solve for P2, the final pressure can be determined.

3. Are there any other factors that can affect the final pressure in a gas system?

Yes, factors such as the number of moles of gas present, the type of gas, and the volume of the container can also affect the final pressure in a gas system.

4. How does temperature affect the final pressure in a gas system?

According to the ideal gas law, if the temperature of a gas increases, the pressure will also increase, assuming the volume and number of moles of gas remain constant. This means that a higher temperature will result in a higher final pressure in a gas system.

5. Can the final pressure in a gas system ever be lower than the initial pressure?

In most cases, the final pressure in a gas system will be equal to or greater than the initial pressure. However, if the temperature and volume of the gas decrease significantly, the final pressure may be lower than the initial pressure.