Gas Laws and Thermodynamics questions

In summary: If the air temperature is 10 degrees Celsius, then the layer of ice will build up at a rate of 1 cm per hour. The thermal conductivity of ice is 0.592 W/mK, so it will take 20 hours for a 20 cm layer to form.
hadroneater

1) If air contains 1% AR by volume, what is the mass of Argon in a 2L balloon of air at 25 degress celsius?

2) If for a real gas, P = RT(V - b) - a/V^2
where a and b and R are constants, P = pressure, T = temperature and V = volume.
What does a large a value represent in a real gas?

3)A small pond has a layer of ice 1cm thick foating on its surface.
(a) If the air temperature is -10 degrees C, find the rate in cm per hour at which ice is added to the layer. The thermal conductivity of ice is 0.592 W/mK.
(b) How long does it take for a 20cm layer to build up?

Homework Equations

1) pV=nRT Ptotal = p1 + p2...pn

3) H = k*A*dT/L

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the simple addition equation where pressure of argon is just 1% of the total pressure.

2) Obviously the gas would have lesser volume as a increases. But why do non-ideal gases exhibit this pressure drop?

3) heat associated with freezing 1cm^3 water = mL = 0.001g * 334*10^3 = 334J
That's really as far as I got...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hadroneater said:

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the simple addition equation where pressure of argon is just 1% of the total pressure.
You have to use the fact that a mole of any gas occupies the same volume (if the temperature and pressure are the same). For example, one mole of any gas occupies 22.4 l at STP. This means that the volume occupied by a gas depends on the number of moles of gas ie. the number of freely moving gas molecules (or individual atoms in a monatomic gas such as Argon).

If 1% of the volume is occupied by Argon, then what can you say about the number of Argon atoms compared to the number of other air molecules?

2) Obviously the gas would have lesser volume as a increases. But why do non-ideal gases exhibit this pressure drop?
I think you meant "lesser pressure as a increases". The pressure drop is due to the attraction between molecules - this requires energy to separate the molecules.

The third question is not copied correctly. What is the rate of ice build-up?

AM

The rate in the third question isn't given. It's actually supposed to say "find the rate in cm per hour". My bad.

hadroneater said:
The rate in the third question isn't given. It's actually supposed to say "find the rate in cm per hour". My bad.
Ok. The with that change the language now makes grammatical sense. But the question doesn't make sense:
3)A small pond has a layer of ice 1cm thick foating on its surface. (a) If the air
temperature is 10 degrees C, find the rate in cm per hour at which ice is added to the layer. The thermal conductivity of ice is 0.592 W/mK. (b) How long does it take for a 20cm layer to
build up?[/b]

Why would ice build up at +10C?

AM

Again...my fault. It's supposed to be -10degrees. My bad.

Related to Gas Laws and Thermodynamics questions

1. What are the three gas laws and how do they relate to each other?

The three gas laws are Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. Boyle's law states that at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. Charles's law states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. Gay-Lussac's law states that at a constant volume, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. These three laws are related through the combined gas law, which combines all three laws into one equation.

2. How does temperature affect the behavior of gases?

Temperature affects the behavior of gases in several ways. As mentioned in Charles's law, temperature and volume are directly proportional, meaning that as temperature increases, the volume of a gas will also increase. Additionally, as temperature increases, the kinetic energy of gas particles increases, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure. This relationship is described by Gay-Lussac's law. Overall, temperature plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of gases.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used?

The ideal gas law is a combination of all three gas laws and is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation is used to describe the behavior of ideal gases, which follow all three gas laws perfectly. It is often used in calculations involving the properties of gases, such as determining the volume of a gas at a given temperature and pressure.

4. What is the difference between an adiabatic process and an isothermal process?

An adiabatic process is one in which there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant during the process, and the equation PV^γ = constant applies, where γ is the heat capacity ratio. On the other hand, an isothermal process is one in which the temperature remains constant throughout the process. This means that the equation PV = constant applies, and there is an exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings to maintain the constant temperature.

5. How does the thermodynamic state of a gas change during an isobaric process?

An isobaric process is one in which the pressure of a gas remains constant throughout. During this process, the volume and temperature of the gas can change, but the pressure remains constant. As a result, the thermodynamic state of the gas changes, and its internal energy may increase or decrease depending on the work done by or on the gas. The equation ΔU = Q - W can be used to calculate the change in internal energy, where Q is the heat exchanged and W is the work done.