Gas Kinetic Energy: Monatomic or All Gases?

In summary, the equation KE=3/2nRT=3/2kT is applicable to only monatomic gases and accounts for the translational kinetic energy of molecules. For diatomic or polyatomic gases, the equation KE=1/2*fkT should be used, where f is the number of degrees of freedom. This takes into account rotational and vibrational degrees of freedom as well. The total translational kinetic energy of a gas can be found by multiplying the number of molecules, N, by 3/2kT or by using the equation KE=3/2*pV, as long as the gas is ideal. However, in general, it is better to use the equation f/2kT to
ChloeYip
"KE=3/2nRT=3/2kT" is applicable to only monatomic gas or all kind of gas?
What about " KE=1/2*fkT" ? (f: degree of freedom) Is it implies the same thing as "KE=3/2nRT=3/2kT" ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
degrees of freedom change with temperature, the following scale shows how molecules degrees change:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ux1.eiu.edu%2F%7Ecfadd%2F1360%2F21KineticTheory%2F21Images%2FFig21.07.jpg
Usually when solving a problem in undergraduate level, we assume that we are in room temp. So for mono. f=3 and diatomic particles f=5. Thus only translation and rotation freedom exist, but why mono. and dia. are different?

for mono. the shape is a sphere (symmetric in rotation), you can move it in x, y, and z but rotating it won't change anything so you have f=3+0=3. For dia. The shape is a line or rod (asymmetric in rotation) you can move it in x, y, and z direction but you can also rotate it in two angles (let's say: θ and φ) so you have f=3+2=5.

thanks for your reply, but I do understand the concept of degree of freedom
however, from my notes, "KE=3/2nRT=3/2kT" is applicable to all kind of gas" made me doubtful.
why the formula need not consider degree of freedom? or I have misunderstanding to the notes?
thanks

Yes 3/2kT can be applied only for mono atomic gasses, Mono atomic gasses have only 3 degrees of freedom (X,Y,Z) direction, that's why K.E comes out with 3/2 factor (f=3), But when go to diatomic and poly atomic gasses those are having degrees of freedom more than 3 including rotational and vibration degrees of freedom ( f=5,7... )then K.E comes with factor 5/2,7/2... likewise

So molecules like N2 should have KE=5/2kT, instead of 3/2kT, right?
However, when I read the post of https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110123011943AAjliwr , question 39 of it,
is it wrong for "Now use the equation for average molecular kinetic energy: Ek = (3/2)kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38×10ˉ²³ J·Kˉ¹) and T is the absolute temperature. "?
Thank you very much.

ChloeYip said:
So molecules like N2 should have KE=5/2kT, instead of 3/2kT, right?
However, when I read the post of https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110123011943AAjliwr , question 39 of it,
is it wrong for "Now use the equation for average molecular kinetic energy: Ek = (3/2)kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38×10ˉ²³ J·Kˉ¹) and T is the absolute temperature. "?
Thank you very much.

Yes N2 has 5 degrees of freedom and KE=5/2kT
Yeah there must be a mistake unless they have neglected rotational and vibration effects

So how to solve this problem?

my copy of the question is:
" What is the total translational kinetic energy in a test chamber filled with nitrogen (N2) at 2.16 * 10^5 Pa and 20.7°C? The dimensions of the chamber are 4.00 m * 5.70 m * 7.40 m. The ATOMIC weight of nitrogen is 28.0 g/mol, Avogadro’s number is 6.022 * 10^23 molecules/mol and the Boltzmann constant is 1.38* 10^-23 J/K."
And the answer is " 5.47 * 10^7 J"
Even I tried with KE=5/2kT , still I can't get the answer...

Thanks

Last edited:
ChloeYip said:
So how to solve this problem?

my copy of the question is:
" What is the total translational kinetic energy in a test chamber filled with nitrogen (N2) at 2.16 °— 105 Pa and 20.7°C? The dimensions of the chamber are 4.00 m °— 5.70 m °— 7.40 m. The ATOMIC weight of nitrogen is 28.0 g/mol, Avogadro’s number is 6.022 °— 1023 molecules/mol and the Boltzmann constant is 1.38 °— 10-23 J/K."
And the answer is " 5.47 °— 10^7 J"
Even I tried with KE=5/2kT , still I can't get the answer...

Thanks

Make no mistake about, K.E= f/2kT is for per molecule or atom, the total K.E will be f/2Nkt, N is the number of atoms or molecules and also this question is about only transnational K.E, therefore you have to use 3/2Nkt (3 transnational degrees of freedom).
First you have to find the number of nitrogen molecules (N) using ideal gas equation. then use 3/2Nkt to calculate total transnational K.E

ChloeYip said:
I tried to calculate in the same way, i have got 25.644 *10^6 as the answer.
http://upload.lsforum.net/users/public/c39058IMG_3107k11.jpg

Is there any problem with my calculation? Thanks

use directly PV=NkT (or also you can us PV=nRT)
your calculation of N is incorrect; N=PV/kT I got N=8.9916 x 10^27 molecules

now using K.E=3/2NkT = 3/2*8.9916*10^27*1.38 x 10^-23*293.7= 5.4665x10^7 Joules

Last edited:
Likes ChloeYip
I see. Thanks for the much simpler way for finding the number of molecules. I can get the answer now.
Thank you very much.

[Sorry, I found problem right after this post is post >.<]

Last edited:
ChloeYip said:
I tried to calculate in the same way, i have got 25.644 *10^6 as the answer.
http://upload.lsforum.net/users/public/c39058IMG_3107k11.jpg
c39058IMG_3107k11.jpg

Is there any problem with my calculation? Thanks

Hiranya Pasan did give you the right way to do it. But so you understand your mistakes, can you rethink about how you found the no. of moles?

Wait~
Hiranya Pasan said:
K.E=3/2kT = 3/2*1.38 x 10^-23*293.7= 5.4665x10^7 Joules
You didn't use N,thus P at all and you found the answer! Why no need to multiply N? and the answer is not dependent on pressure?

ChloeYip said:
Wait~

You didn't use N,thus P at all and you found the answer! Why no need to multiply N? and the answer is not dependent on pressure?

sorry I did a mistake when typing, you need to multiply by N, because to find Total translational energy

Last edited:
Indeed, I just found that we can simply KE=3/2*pV :)
Thank you very much anyway~

ChloeYip said:
Indeed, I just found that we can simply KE=3/2*pV :)

Yes, correct for this case, but KE=3/2*pV is not going to work every time, Energy is a function of Temperature only plus KE=3/2*pV works only for ideal gases, so better to go with f/2kT

Related to Gas Kinetic Energy: Monatomic or All Gases?

1. What is gas kinetic energy?

Gas kinetic energy is the energy associated with the motion of gas particles. It is a type of kinetic energy that is caused by the random movement of gas molecules and is directly related to the temperature of the gas.

2. What is the difference between monatomic and all gases?

Monatomic gases are made up of single atoms, such as helium or neon, while all gases are made up of molecules, which are composed of two or more atoms. This difference affects the way gas particles move and their kinetic energy.

3. How is gas kinetic energy calculated?

The kinetic energy of a gas can be calculated using the formula KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the gas particle and v is its velocity. This formula applies to both monatomic and all gases.

4. Does the temperature of a gas affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the temperature of a gas is directly proportional to its kinetic energy. As the temperature of a gas increases, the average kinetic energy of its particles also increases.

5. How is gas kinetic energy related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, describes the relationship between pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), temperature (T), and the gas constant (R). The kinetic energy of gas particles is directly related to temperature, which is one of the variables in the ideal gas law. Therefore, gas kinetic energy is indirectly related to the pressure, volume, and number of moles of a gas.