Gas flow, time required to fill a tank

In summary, Nathan attempted to fill a box with carbon dioxide from a tank, but was not able to do so using standard gas law. He needed to find the desired pressure of the gas in the box and then use the gas law to calculate how many moles of CO2 would fit in the box.
jnesbit
Hi all,

I've been searching through the forum, and found some related posts, but still can't wrap my head around this. I would greatly appreciate any help.

I'm trying to fill a box with carbon dioxide from a tank, that has attached to it a regulator and tube.

I used PV = nRT to find the volume of CO2 inside the tank; here are all my variables:
P (inside tank) = 4601.325 kPa
V (inside tank) = 0.273 cubic meters
n = 515.32 moles
R = 0.0083 (m3*kPa/mol*K)
T = 293 K

I want to know how long it would take to fill a box with CO2 from this tank. The regulator on the tank shows the pressure inside the tank is 4,500 kPa and the pressure of CO2 exiting the tank is 40 kPa. The diameter of the tube through which CO2 exits the tank is 1/8 inch.

I've taken 3 non-calculus-based physics classes, and passed thanks to some hideous curve. So I'm trying to escape this dumbed-down understanding my university has so graciously given to me...

Thank you!
Nathan

Physics news on Phys.org
I've no idea whether this is right, but I tried this:
Treat the 40kPa acting over the area of the pipe as a force accelerating the gas up to its flow speed. By conservation of energy, the linear speed that results is √(2P/ρ) where P is the pressure and ρ the density. For a volumetric rate that's A√(2P/ρ). Question is, what pressure and density? Using the 40kPa and ρ = 2kg/m3, it gives 1.6 litres/s. Using the 4500 kPa gives 10 times that.
This assumes the pipe is very short. For a longer pipe you have to take into account the pressure gradient along it.

jnesbit said:
Hi all,

I'm trying to fill a box with carbon dioxide from a tank, that has attached to it a regulator and tube.

I want to know how long it would take to fill a box with CO2 from this tank.
"Filling a box" with gas is not meaningful unless you specify the desired pressure of the gas in the box. Otherwise, any amount of gas, no matter how much, will expand to "fill the box" in the sense that it will occupy the entire volume of it.

nasu said:
"Filling a box" with gas is not meaningful unless you specify the desired pressure of the gas in the box. Otherwise, any amount of gas, no matter how much, will expand to "fill the box" in the sense that it will occupy the entire volume of it.

The desired pressure of the gas in the box... good point. I guess I thought even though a gas would fill the box, there would still be a "normal" density/volume it would occupy. Sort of like a saturation point, where it wouldn't be building pressure, and it wouldn't be "loose."

My problem might be more of a conceptual one; there is no lid to the box. I'm just basically lowering the CO2 tube into the box, letting it run for a few minutes, and then removing it. I'm hoping that the stagnant air in the room, plus the density of CO2 being greater than air, will at least somewhat contain the CO2 in the box.

If this is something that would require a doctorate in physics, like to understand the movement of air particles and "how much is enough" in order to keep a reasonable amount of CO2 in the tank while allowing for a minimum amount to spill out, so as to waste as little CO2 as possible... I can just keep doing what I've been doing, which is run the CO2 for 2-4 minutes and hope for the best.

OK, I thought you may want to do something like this.
As you say, this is not a stable state. Some CO2 will leak out in time.
However you can estimate how much CO2 you need to replace the air in the box (initially full with air).
The volume of the CO2 is the volume of the box. You need to measure this, you cannot calculate it from the gas law.
Then you can take the pressure equal to atmospheric pressure and temperature equal to the room temperature at location.
Then from the gas law you can fin how many moles of CO2 in normal conditions will fit in the box. You can also find the mass of CO2 if you multiply number of moles by molecular mass (44 g/mole for CO2).
To find the time you will need to know the flow rate of your source (either volume, mass, molar).

Related to Gas flow, time required to fill a tank

1. What is gas flow and how does it affect the time required to fill a tank?

Gas flow refers to the rate at which gas is flowing into a tank. The faster the gas flows, the shorter the time required to fill the tank. This is because a higher flow rate means more gas is entering the tank in a given amount of time.

2. How is gas flow measured?

Gas flow is typically measured in units of volume per time, such as cubic feet per minute (CFM) or liters per minute (L/min). These measurements indicate how much gas is flowing into the tank in a specific time period.

3. What factors can affect gas flow and the time required to fill a tank?

Several factors can affect gas flow and the time required to fill a tank, including the size of the tank, the pressure at which the gas is being delivered, the temperature of the gas, and any obstructions or restrictions in the flow pathway.

4. Can the time required to fill a tank be calculated?

Yes, the time required to fill a tank can be calculated by dividing the volume of the tank by the gas flow rate. However, this calculation may not account for all factors that can affect gas flow, so it is important to consider other variables as well.

5. How can the time required to fill a tank be reduced?

The time required to fill a tank can be reduced by increasing the gas flow rate, increasing the pressure of the gas, or using a larger tank. It is also important to ensure that the gas flow pathway is free of obstructions or restrictions.