Gas flow from one chamber to another

In summary, if you are trying to estimate the time to equilibrium for a gas flowing through a connection, you will need to consider the initial pressure, size of the connection, and temperature of the reservoir. You can make the process more adiabatic by wrapping the tanks in insulation, but it will be pretty darned close to adiabatic even without in most cases.
geologic
Hi,

I don't know a ton of fluid mechanics, and haven't been able to mathematically define this problem, so I was hoping someone might have an idea.

The problem I want to solve is the time it takes for gas to flow from one chamber (with finite pressure) to another (vacuum). The problem is non-equilibrium and fluid velocity is time-dependent (when the pressures are almost equal, the fluid flow should be slow (I would think)). So the known quantities would be the initial pressures, volumes and temperature and I want to calculate the time to equilibrium (or, effectively, the time-constant).

Thanks,
geo

Physics news on Phys.org
You will also need to know the details of the connection between the two chambers (i.e., the internal diameter, the length, any fittings like valves, etc.) You will also need to determine if the flow will be isothermal or adiabatic.

Ok, so let's say I know the details of the valves, tubes, etc.

I'm not sure if the flow is adiabatic (I'm not putting in any heat, the experiment is done at room temperature). If there is cooling/heating upon expansion, then heat could transfer in through the metal chamber. Any ideas how I can ensure that the flow is one or the other? It isn't possible to thermally isolate the system I'm using. How can I estimate how important these effects are?

To make the process adiabatic (or reasonably so), wrap your chambers in insulating material, if this is practical. Another line of reasoning would be to assume that if the entire process occurs in a short amount of time, no significant quantity of heat could have entered or exited the chambers in that brief period.

Well, you could do this in a much less complicated manner than SteamKing is suggesting depending on how accurate your answer needs to be. If you just need a reasonable estimate, consider the following:

If your filled tank is reasonably high-pressure, then the most dominant effect on the time to reach equilibrium will be the amount of time the flow through the connection is choked, which will be most of the time for any reasonably high starting pressure. While the flow is choked, the effect of the length of the connecting pipe and roughness and the like is going to be very minor, even negligible. The important factors there are the pressure in the reservoir, smallest cross-section of your connection line and total temperature in your reservoir. This will likely represent the largest portion of time in reaching equilibrium.

The above is very easy to calculate assuming your process is adiabatic. Your process, for all intents and purposes, will be adiabatic. There will be some slight heat transfer going on as the tank discharges and cools, but it won't likely be a lot since it will be simply by conduction. You can make it closer to adiabatic by wrapping the tanks in insulation, but it will be pretty darn close to adiabatic even without in most cases for the purposes of a reasonably accurate time estimate.

After the flow is no longer choked, then the geometry of the connection line becomes more important, but you can probably neglect a lot of it without any major effects and just use an unsteady Bernoulli-type equation with a correction factor such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation to set up a differential equation for the flow through the connection. That leaves you with a choked-flow differential equation to start out with known initial conditions and whose final conditions provide the initial conditions for your Bernoulli-type equation for the rest of the time. That will get you pretty darned close to the right answer analytically.

Related to Gas flow from one chamber to another

1. What factors affect gas flow from one chamber to another?

The main factors that affect gas flow from one chamber to another include the pressure difference between the two chambers, the size of the opening between the chambers, and the properties of the gas (such as its viscosity and density).

2. How is gas flow rate measured?

Gas flow rate can be measured using various methods, such as flowmeters, pressure gauges, and mass flow controllers. These devices measure the volume or mass of gas passing through a given point per unit time.

3. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

In laminar flow, the gas particles move in smooth, parallel layers with little mixing between them. In turbulent flow, the gas particles move in irregular, chaotic patterns with high levels of mixing. The transition between laminar and turbulent flow is determined by the Reynolds number, which is affected by factors such as gas velocity and viscosity.

4. How does gas flow from one chamber to another affect pressure?

Gas flow from one chamber to another can cause a change in pressure in both chambers. As gas moves from a high pressure chamber to a low pressure chamber, the pressure in the high pressure chamber decreases and the pressure in the low pressure chamber increases. This process continues until the pressure difference between the two chambers is equalized.

5. What are some applications of controlling gas flow from one chamber to another?

Controlling gas flow from one chamber to another is essential in many industrial and scientific processes. Some common applications include regulating the flow of gases in chemical reactions, controlling the pressure and flow of gases in gas chromatography, and maintaining a specific atmosphere in a sealed chamber, such as in a cleanroom or a controlled environment for growing plants.