Gap junction modulators for C. elegans

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for gap junction openers/closers for C. elegans and the potential use of drugs like trimethylamine, quinine, and carbenoxolone, which have been proven effective in mammals but may be costly and require additional paperwork. The use of mutant strains of C. elegans is also mentioned, but it may interfere with results when trying to assess the function of gap junctions in healthy adults. The possibility of using RNAi is brought up, but it may not be effective as there are non-neuronal gap junctions and several different inx genes associated with different cells. Additionally, a paper using unc genes, which are associated with innexins, is mentioned but it
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Are there any known gap junction openers/closers for C. elegans? I've googled far and wide for weeks. Trimethylamine, quinine, and carbenoxolone are known to work with connexins in mammals. They also happen to be expensive and require more paperwork, so I don't want to go through the steps just to find they don't work on innexin proteins (inx genes).

There are mutant strains (in inx genes) of C. elegans, but gap junctions are important in development too, so I'd think using mutants would meddle with results when trying to assay the function of gap junctions in healthy adults.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know, you could contact some PIs and ask whether they have experience with the drugs.

Yeah, I suppose it's come down to that. Thanks for the reply.

Would RNAi work?

Take a look at http://www.jbc.org/content/281/12/7881.short Fig 4B. I believe the caveat is that it requires that the gene is involved only in gap junctions and no where else (ie. gap junction => gene, but I don't know if there is evidence that gene => gap junction).

Last edited:
link didn't work for me. (edit: ok, nevermind worked the second try)

Another thing with RNAi is there are non-neuronal gap junctions. But there are several different inx genes associated with different sets of cells. I use wormweb to see what genes are expressed in what neuron, but I've never found a neuron of interest for which inx genes are uniquely expressed.

ah yes, that paper uses unc genes, which are associated with innexins, but I don't think it's unique. Some inx genes actually code for the subunits of the gap junction.

Anyway, I'll have to think about RNAi with inx genes more.

Related to Gap junction modulators for C. elegans

1. What are gap junction modulators and how do they work?

Gap junction modulators are chemical compounds that can alter the function of gap junctions, which are channels that allow for direct communication between cells. In C. elegans, these modulators can either enhance or inhibit the transfer of signals between cells, ultimately affecting the behavior and development of the organism. They work by binding to specific proteins within the gap junction channels, either opening or closing them to regulate the flow of ions and small molecules between cells.

2. How do gap junction modulators affect the behavior of C. elegans?

Gap junction modulators can have a variety of effects on the behavior of C. elegans, depending on the specific modulator used. Some modulators can enhance the coordination and synchronization of movements between cells, while others can disrupt these processes and lead to changes in behavior. In general, these modulators play a critical role in regulating motor activity, chemotaxis, and other behaviors in C. elegans.

3. What are the potential applications of using gap junction modulators in C. elegans research?

Studying the effects of gap junction modulators in C. elegans can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of communication between cells and how this impacts behavior and development. This research can also have implications for understanding human diseases that involve gap junction dysfunction, such as certain neurological disorders. Additionally, modulators can be used as tools to manipulate specific behaviors in C. elegans and study their underlying neural pathways.

4. How are gap junction modulators administered to C. elegans?

Gap junction modulators can be administered to C. elegans through various methods, including soaking the worms in a solution containing the modulator, feeding them food containing the modulator, or injecting the modulator directly into the worms. The method of administration will depend on the specific modulator being used and the desired outcome.

5. What are the potential risks or side effects of using gap junction modulators in C. elegans?

While gap junction modulators are generally well-tolerated by C. elegans, there are potential risks and side effects to consider. These can include changes in behavior, development, or reproduction of the worms, as well as potential toxicity or interactions with other chemicals. It is important to carefully select and monitor the use of modulators in C. elegans research to minimize any potential adverse effects.

Back