Gammaray Sky animation (what GLAST will see)

In summary: Your Name]In summary, GLAST (gamma ray large area space telescope) is scheduled to launch in 2007 and holds great potential for the Quantum Gravity research community. The recent animation of the full sky at gamma wavelengths, although seemingly insignificant, signifies the progress and readiness of GLAST for launch. With its high sensitivity and wide field of view, GLAST has the ability to detect and study various high energy sources, providing valuable insights and testing capabilities for QG theories. This is a significant step forward in our understanding of the universe and the scientific method.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060531.html

GLAST means "gammaray large area space telescope"
http://glast.gsfc.nasa.gov/public/
and it is scheduled to fly in 2007

this is a 55 frame animation of the full sky
you can see the Milkyway snaking across, roughly east-west.

there are some little flashes which I guess could be gammaray bursts, or solar flares if they make gamma. I don't know much about it but I am glad to see it.

GLAST holds a lot of hope and also risk for Quantum Gravity researchers because it has the ability to put QG theories on trial and show that certain ones fail (because they predict wrong) and certain ones survive the test (and can proceed to still further tests)

Even though this animation of the full sky at gamma wavelengths is no big deal, I am still happy to see it because it represents news about GLAST and suggests that this space observatory is on schedule and will be ready for launch as planned. This is good news for the QG community because without testing, without some way to falsify theories, you don't really have science.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing this exciting news about GLAST and the potential impact it will have on Quantum Gravity research. I agree that testing and falsifiability are crucial components of the scientific method and the success of GLAST in this regard will be a significant step forward in our understanding of the universe.

The gamma ray flashes seen in the animation could indeed be gamma ray bursts or solar flares, but they could also be other sources of high energy gamma rays such as active galactic nuclei or pulsars. GLAST's high sensitivity and wide field of view will allow for the detection and study of these sources, providing valuable insights into their nature and behavior.

Furthermore, GLAST's ability to put QG theories on trial is a testament to the incredible advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe. I am eagerly anticipating its launch and the wealth of data it will provide for us to analyze and interpret.

Thank you for bringing attention to this important mission and its potential impact on the field of Quantum Gravity. I look forward to the continued progress and discoveries that GLAST will bring.

Related to Gammaray Sky animation (what GLAST will see)

1. What is the Gammaray Sky animation?

The Gammaray Sky animation is a visualization of the gamma-ray sky as seen by the GLAST (Gamma-ray Large Area Space Telescope) satellite. It shows the distribution and intensity of gamma-ray sources in our universe.

2. How is the Gammaray Sky animation created?

The animation is created using data collected by the GLAST satellite, which is then processed and mapped to create a visual representation of the gamma-ray sky. The mapping process takes into account the energy and direction of the gamma rays to accurately depict their distribution.

3. What can we learn from the Gammaray Sky animation?

The animation allows us to see the most energetic and powerful sources in our universe, such as black holes, neutron stars, and supernovae explosions. It also helps us understand the origins and evolution of these sources, as well as the structure of our galaxy and other galaxies.

4. When will the Gammaray Sky animation be available?

The animation will be available once the GLAST satellite, now known as the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope, has collected enough data. The satellite was launched in 2008 and is still in operation, so the animation is constantly being updated and improved as more data is collected.

5. How can the Gammaray Sky animation benefit society?

The animation can help scientists and researchers better understand the universe and the processes that shape it. This knowledge can then be applied to practical applications, such as improving our understanding of high-energy radiation and developing new technologies for space exploration.