Galvanic Cell Conceptual Question

In summary, the cathode is where the metal cations are reduced, and it doesn't contain metal cations itself.
blueblueblue

Homework Statement

In a galvanic cell, the electrode that builds up a precipitate of metal (known as plating out) is:
A. the cathode, and its surface is rich in positive charge.
B. the anode, and its surface is rich in positive charge.
C. the cathode, and its surface is rich in electrons.
D. the anode, and its surface is rich in electrons.

Homework Equations

----N/A----

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess my dilemma revolves around the solution that the book gave. The book: "Answer C. The cathode is defined as the electrode at which reduction occurs. This eliminates choices B and D. Metal cations are converted into metal at the cathode. For a cation to be converted into a metal, it must gain electrons (undergo reduction), so the surface of the cathode must be rich in electrons."

I understand that reduction and metal plating occurs at the cathode, my problem is the second part of the answer. Wouldn't the cathode be rich in positive charge? My understanding is that the cathode contains the metal cations, which will eventually pick up the electrons coming from the anode. I can also understand that the cathode would gather electrons on its surface so that metal cations can pick them up. However, I'm more inclined to pick A than C. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would be positively charged cathode able to attract cations?

Cathode doesn't contain metal cations, they get reduced the moment they touch the surface.

--
methods

Borek said:
Would be positively charged cathode able to attract cations?

Cathode doesn't contain metal cations, they get reduced the moment they touch the surface.

Oh, so are the metal cations usually in solution? I was always under the assumption that the cathode was a metal plate containing the metal cations. At least that's what it looks like every time I see a simple diagram of a galvanic cell.

So is the cathode electrode just a conductor allowing electrons to gather on its surface, which attracts metal cations from the cathode solution allowing reduction to occur?

Thanks for your response! :smile:

Both electrodes are just conductors, surrounded by ions. Reaction takes place only at the surface (phase boundary).

--

Awesome! Answered all my questions. Thanks again, Borek!

Related to Galvanic Cell Conceptual Question

1. What is a Galvanic Cell?

A Galvanic Cell is an electrochemical cell that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through a redox reaction. It consists of two half-cells connected by a salt bridge or porous barrier, and the flow of electrons between the two half-cells creates an electric current.

2. How does a Galvanic Cell work?

A Galvanic Cell works by separating two different chemical substances, each with a different tendency to gain or lose electrons. One half-cell contains an electrode with a negative charge (the anode) and the other a positive charge (the cathode). When the two half-cells are connected, a redox reaction occurs, with electrons flowing from the anode to the cathode, creating an electric current.

3. What is the purpose of a salt bridge in a Galvanic Cell?

A salt bridge is used in a Galvanic Cell to maintain electrical neutrality and prevent charge buildup during the redox reaction. It allows ions to flow between the two half-cells, completing the circuit and maintaining a balance of charges.

4. What factors affect the voltage of a Galvanic Cell?

The voltage of a Galvanic Cell is affected by the types of electrodes and electrolytes used, the concentration of the electrolytes, and the temperature. The greater the difference in reactivity between the two half-cells, the higher the voltage will be.

5. What are some real-life applications of Galvanic Cells?

Galvanic Cells are used in batteries to power electronic devices, such as cell phones and laptops. They are also used in vehicles to power the starter motor and provide electricity for lights and other systems. Additionally, Galvanic Cells are used in electroplating, where a thin layer of metal is deposited onto an object, and in corrosion protection to prevent the rusting of metals.