Galileo's Theory of falling bodies problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Galileo's Theory of falling bodies to determine the total distance fallen at the end of the second interval of time. It is mentioned that the distance fallen is proportional to the odd numbers at successive intervals of time, and the question is posed regarding the value of x in this scenario. The attempted solution involves using kinematic equations, but the suggested answer of 12 is incorrect.
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

If an object falls five meters during the first interval of time, what is the total distance fallen at the end of the second interval of time? (Galileo's Theory of falling bodies)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that at successive intervals of time the distance fallen is proportional to the odd numbers. So I suspect it to be 12, but apparently I'm wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

Use you kinematic equations to help you out here.

Ki-nana18 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that at successive intervals of time the distance fallen is proportional to the odd numbers.
That's right. Another way to say that is
  • The object falls a distance 1x in the 1st time interval.
  • The object falls a distance 3x in the 2nd time interval.
  • Then 5x in the 3rd time interval, etc. etc.
So the question is, what is x, given what they tell you about the 1st time interval?

So I suspect it to be 12, but apparently I'm wrong.
Yes, that's wrong. Again, what is the value of x here?

Related to Galileo's Theory of falling bodies problem

1. What is Galileo's Theory of falling bodies problem?

Galileo's Theory of falling bodies problem, also known as the Law of Falling Bodies, states that all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate when dropped in a vacuum.

2. How did Galileo prove his theory?

Galileo conducted experiments using inclined planes to show that objects accelerate at a constant rate when rolling down a slope. He also dropped objects of different masses from the Leaning Tower of Pisa to demonstrate that they all hit the ground at the same time.

3. What is the significance of Galileo's Theory of falling bodies problem?

Galileo's theory revolutionized the study of physics and laid the foundation for Isaac Newton's laws of motion. It also challenged Aristotle's belief that heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects.

4. Is Galileo's Theory of falling bodies problem still relevant today?

Yes, Galileo's theory is still relevant today and has been proven to be accurate through modern experiments. It is also used in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and space exploration.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Galileo's Theory of falling bodies problem?

One common misconception is that Galileo discovered gravity. In reality, he only proved that all objects fall at the same rate in a vacuum. Another misconception is that Galileo's experiments were conducted by dropping objects from the Leaning Tower of Pisa, when in fact, he used inclined planes for his experiments.