Galileo's experiment and a lack of understanding....

In summary, in this experiment, the principle that two objects of unequal mass will accelerate under gravitational force at the same rate is not always obeyed. This is because the heavier object has a greater force acting on it, causing the heavier object to reach a larger "terminal" velocity.
TwoShortPlancks
Could anyone offer me a little help with understanding why the principles demonstrated in Galileo's (probably fictional, I know) experiment involving two spheres of the same mass from a tower don't apply in the following situation please?

As I understand it, the principle is essentially that two objects of unequal mass will accelerate under gravitational force at the same rate, unless something else (like air resistance) is acting upon them - thus the famous piece of footage of the astronaut with the hammer and the feather on the moon...

So, take two balloons, fill them both to the same diameter - one with water, one with air, then drop them. They have (essentially) the same aerodynamic properties, yet accelerate at dramatically different rates. Forgive my ignorance, but why?

Physics news on Phys.org
TwoShortPlancks said:
Could anyone offer me a little help with understanding why the principles demonstrated in Galileo's (probably fictional, I know) experiment involving two spheres of the same mass from a tower don't apply in the following situation please?

As I understand it, the principle is essentially that two objects of unequal mass will accelerate under gravitational force at the same rate, unless something else (like air resistance) is acting upon them - thus the famous piece of footage of the astronaut with the hammer and the feather on the moon...

So, take two balloons, fill them both to the same diameter - one with water, one with air, then drop them. They have (essentially) the same aerodynamic properties, yet accelerate at dramatically different rates. Forgive my ignorance, but why?

Because one has a greater force acting on it (mg) while the other has less. BOTH will have the same amount of drag force. But because the heavier one has a greater force pulling it down, the "terminal" velocity of the heavier object will be larger than the lighter one. The one filled with air will achieve its terminal velocity quicker and with a smaller magnitude.

Zz.

TwoShortPlancks said:
Umm, you answered your own question:

TwoShortPlancks said:
something else (like air resistance) is acting upon them -

Dale said:
Umm, you answered your own question - "something else (like air resistance) is acting upon them" -:

So aerodynamic drag is acting upon them - sure. But to the same degree for both, surely? If aerodynamic drag is the same for both (excepting small deformations in shape I suppose, but that would not be great enough to explain the fact), how would the fact that it is acting upon them explain a different rate of acceleration?

ZapperZ said:
Because one has a greater force acting on it (mg) while the other has less. BOTH will have the same amount of drag force. But because the heavier one has a greater force pulling it down, the "terminal" velocity of the heavier object will be larger than the lighter one. The one filled with air will achieve its terminal velocity quicker and with a smaller magnitude.

Zz.
Thanks Zapper, that makes sense.

You are ignoring buoyancy. The force is not mg, but mg - Vρ, where V is the balloon's volume and ρ the density of the external atmosphere. In the case of the air-filled balloon, the net force is very small, and so is the acceleration a = g - Vρ/m. It is true that the heavier balloon would attain a greater terminal velocity, but that does not answer the question about the difference in acceleration.

mjc123 said:
You are ignoring buoyancy. The force is not mg, but mg - Vρ, where V is the balloon's volume and ρ the density of the external atmosphere. In the case of the air-filled balloon, the net force is very small, and so is the acceleration a = g - Vρ/m. It is true that the heavier balloon would attain a greater terminal velocity, but that does not answer the question about the difference in acceleration.

You are right, I did, but the buoyancy is also the same for both, since they have the same volume and thus, the same displacement of air and can be lumped with the constant drag force. It is why for problems like this in intro physics, the free-body diagram often consists of only 2 forces.

Zz.

If I may add my $.02...

In experiments, scientists try their best to maximize the influence of the effect they are trying to measure and minimize other influences. In this case, it means making the force due to gravity as much larger than other forces (density, air resistance) as possible so you don't accidentally measure the effect of those other forces/effects instead of the one you want to measure.

An additional confounding factor in this experiment is distance, but it interacts with the other two: the higher you drop the objects from, the more time they have to accelerate and more time they have to move apart if their speeds toward the ground differ. When showing that objects of different masses are accelerated by gravity at the same rate, you don't want them falling far enough that they come close to their terminal velocity, and make the effect of air resistance start to matter much.

1) What was Galileo's experiment and why was it significant?

Galileo's experiment involved dropping objects of different weights from the Leaning Tower of Pisa to demonstrate that objects fall at the same rate regardless of their weight. This was significant because it challenged the widely accepted Aristotelian theory that heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects.

2) How did Galileo's experiment contribute to our understanding of gravity?

Galileo's experiment provided evidence that gravity affects all objects equally, regardless of their weight. This helped to lay the foundation for Isaac Newton's theory of gravity, which stated that gravitational force is proportional to the mass of an object.

3) Why was Galileo's experiment controversial at the time?

Galileo's experiment went against the teachings of the Catholic Church, which believed in the Aristotelian theory of gravity. Galileo's findings were seen as heretical and he was placed under house arrest for the rest of his life.

4) How did Galileo's experiment lead to the development of the scientific method?

Galileo's experiment was one of the first to use a systematic approach of observation, experimentation, and data analysis to understand natural phenomena. This method was further refined by later scientists and became the basis of the scientific method used today.

5) What impact did Galileo's experiment have on the field of physics?

Galileo's experiment revolutionized the field of physics by challenging traditional beliefs and paving the way for a more empirical and evidence-based approach to understanding the natural world. It also laid the foundation for future experiments and discoveries in the field of gravity and motion.