Galilean transformation / calculating frequency problem

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the frequency of oscillation of a mass on a moving cart with constant acceleration, given a potential function of V=A4x^{4}. The equations and concepts mentioned included Galilean transformation, Taylor series, differential equation, and F=-grad V. The individual was unsure of how to proceed and sought help with understanding transformations and developing a harmonic potential via Taylor series.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone,

Homework Statement

I have a mass like in the drawing and a moving cart with constant acceleration. The potential (also in the drawing) is given as [tex] V=A4x^{4}[/tex]

I want to calculate the frequency of the oscillation of the mass as a function of the acceleration when the cart is moving.

Homework Equations

Galilean transformation
Taylor series(?)
differential equation
F=-grad V (here F=-dV/dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm stuck. I have a moving frame of referenca and a stagnant one. My problem is I have to find a equation of motion in order to find the frequency. I think I need to develop a harmonic potential via Taylor series. But I'm so unsure when it comes to transformations as I'm new into this. I don't know if I even have to transform the x in the potential equation or not and around which point I should make the Taylor series etc etc.

My attempt was to use the transformation:

[tex] x'=x+ \frac 1 2 a t^{2} [/tex]

Is this even right? Do I have to put the x' in the equation for the potential? Then the potential depends on time aswell? Can someone help me out with this problem and give me any hints?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, I forgot the drawing

Attachments

• Uw.JPG
    Uw.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 391

Related to Galilean transformation / calculating frequency problem

1. What is the Galilean transformation?

The Galilean transformation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between the position and velocity of an object in different reference frames. It was developed by Italian scientist Galileo Galilei in the 17th century and is still used in classical mechanics today.

2. How is the Galilean transformation calculated?

The Galilean transformation is calculated by adding or subtracting the velocities of the two reference frames. The formula is: x' = x - vt, where x is the position in the original reference frame, v is the velocity of the moving frame, and t is the time elapsed. This formula can also be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of the object in the moving frame.

3. What is the difference between Galilean transformation and Lorentz transformation?

The Galilean transformation is a simpler version of the Lorentz transformation, which is used in Einstein's theory of relativity. The main difference is that the Galilean transformation assumes that time and space are absolute, while the Lorentz transformation takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

4. How does the Galilean transformation relate to frequency calculations?

The Galilean transformation can be used to calculate the frequency of an object in motion, as it allows us to determine the change in position and time in different reference frames. This is particularly useful in situations where the frequency of an object may be affected by its motion, such as in Doppler effect calculations.

5. What are the limitations of the Galilean transformation?

The Galilean transformation is only valid at low velocities and does not take into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. It also assumes that time and space are absolute, which is not consistent with modern physics theories. As such, it is limited in its applicability and is not suitable for describing objects moving at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields.