Galilean invariance and kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of kinetic energy and its relationship to velocity squared. The book "Landau and Lifgarbagez Classical Mechanics" is mentioned as a possible source for understanding this concept, but the person is unsure if it is the correct book. They also mention an argument involving the Lagrangian mechanics course, but are not familiar with it themselves. The conversation ends with the suggestion to try and find the book mentioned earlier for further understanding.
Order
I tried to look this up on the internet. I know there is a book about it but I forgot its title.

I know that you can prove that the kinetic energy should be proportional to velocity squared by saying that this is the only Galilean invariant definition of kinetic energy.

Can someone help me remember how this is defined? (Or maybe better, give the title of the book? I would like to read it!)

Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
Are you referring to Landau and Lifgarbagez Classical Mechanics? This is the only book I know of where that argument is given, within the first few pages even. But before you go to the trouble of finding the book, is this the argument you are talking about: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4380393&postcount=9?

That will have to do if I cannot find anything else. But from what I remember the book had a single author and the argument was easier to follow. I translated it into something that a 15-year old could understand.

I don't quite follow the Lagrangian argument myself actually and why you can't choose it to depend linearly on the speed. (I never took the Lagrangian mechanics course because of studies abroad.)

Oh then I'm not sure which book it is then. The aforementioned book is the only one I know of myself where I've seen an argument resembling what you asked for. Sorry I couldn't be of more help and good luck!

Galilean invariance refers to the principle that the laws of physics should remain the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. This means that the fundamental physical quantities, such as kinetic energy, should remain the same regardless of the frame of reference.

The concept of kinetic energy is closely tied to the concept of velocity. It is defined as the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In classical mechanics, the kinetic energy of an object is given by the formula 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

The idea that this formula is the only Galilean invariant definition of kinetic energy can be understood by considering the implications of Galilean invariance. If we were to define kinetic energy using a different formula, it would have to take into account the relative velocity between the observer and the object. This would violate Galilean invariance, as the value of kinetic energy would be different for different observers.

As for the book you are looking for, it is likely "Galilean Invariance" by Eugene C. G. Sudarshan and N. Mukunda. This book delves into the mathematical foundations of Galilean invariance and its implications in classical mechanics. It may be a helpful resource for understanding the concept in more depth.

Related to Galilean invariance and kinetic energy

1. What is Galilean invariance?

Galilean invariance, also known as Galilean relativity, is a principle in classical mechanics that states that the laws of motion are the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that the laws of physics are consistent and do not depend on the observer's relative motion.

2. How does Galilean invariance relate to kinetic energy?

Galilean invariance is closely related to kinetic energy because it is one of the fundamental principles that allows us to calculate kinetic energy in classical mechanics. The concept of kinetic energy is based on the idea that the energy of a moving object is determined by its mass and velocity, and this remains consistent in all inertial reference frames according to Galilean invariance.

3. Can kinetic energy be affected by changes in velocity?

Yes, kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's velocity. This means that as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Similarly, as an object's velocity decreases, its kinetic energy decreases. This relationship between kinetic energy and velocity is described by the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is mass and v is velocity.

4. Is kinetic energy conserved in all situations?

In classical mechanics, kinetic energy is considered a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in a closed system where no external forces act on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of energy. However, in situations involving non-conservative forces such as friction, some of the kinetic energy may be lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat.

5. How does Galilean invariance and kinetic energy apply to real-world scenarios?

Galilean invariance and kinetic energy are fundamental concepts in classical mechanics that can be applied to a wide range of real-world scenarios, from the motion of planets and satellites to the movement of cars and projectiles. These principles allow us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the behavior of moving objects, making them essential for understanding and engineering various systems and technologies.