G-force question. amusment park physics

In summary, a student is trying to complete an assignment about the physics of a ride in an amusement park. They have chosen to change the height of the ride and are trying to calculate the g force. They have found an equation for g force and have calculated the velocity and time. They are now trying to figure out the force the passengers would feel at any point along the track.
JT1993
hey, i am a year 11 student trying to complete an assignmnt based on the physics in the amusment park 'dreamworld'

i have been ask to change something about a ride and write about safety and thrill factor this would affect, a chose the giant drop ( a free fall ride )

i am planning to change the height of the ride from 120m to 200m , and now trying to calculate g force

so far:

s = -200m
u = 0
v = ?
t = ?
a = -9.8 m/s

on the internet i found an equation for g force:

a / g = g force

a = change in velocity / change in time
g = -9.8

i calculated velocity first

v2 = u2 + 2as
v2 = (0)2 + (2 x -9.8 x - 200)
v2 = 3920
v = 62.1

now i have velocity i tried to work out time

v = u +at
62.61 = o + (-9.8 x t)
62.61 = -9.8 x t
62.61 / -9.8 = t
- 6.39 = t

and that's it i cannot find a way and i am very confused please help i am still learning :(

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
:( help?

Let's say you're in a cart moving at some velocity, v, let's ignore gravity for now.
This cart sits on a rail, at some point along the track, the rail bends into the shape of a circle of radius R (Its radius of curvature is R).

From the accelerated reference frame of the cart, what force would you feel? (Hint: It would be the centrifugal force)

Once you've answered that question, you can generalize to any curve with a given radius of curvature, and thus find the acceleration the passengers would feel moving at any point along that curve, provided you know their velocity.

What is G-force?

G-force, also known as gravitational force, is a measurement of the force of gravity acting on an object. It is typically measured in units of acceleration, with 1 g representing the force of Earth's gravity on a stationary object.

How is G-force experienced in amusement park rides?

Amusement park rides use the principles of centripetal force to create sensations of G-force. This force is created when an object is moving in a curved path and the force acting on it is directed towards the center of the curve, causing it to accelerate.

What is the maximum G-force experienced on amusement park rides?

The maximum G-force experienced on amusement park rides varies, but it can reach up to 5 g on some extreme rides. Most roller coasters and other amusement park rides typically generate forces between 2-3 g.

Can G-force be dangerous?

G-force can be dangerous if it exceeds the body's ability to withstand it. High levels of G-force can cause nausea, dizziness, and loss of consciousness. That's why amusement park rides are designed to limit the amount of G-force experienced by riders.

How do amusement parks ensure the safety of riders in regards to G-force?

Amusement parks have strict safety regulations and procedures in place to ensure the safety of riders in regards to G-force. This includes regular inspections of rides, weight and size restrictions, and proper safety restraints to keep riders secure during high G-force moments.