Future of Genetics: What Experts Think

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential future advancements in genetics, specifically in regards to aging and reproduction. The speaker predicts that in the future, humans will learn how to stop aging through genetics and this will result in a large population. To control this, the government will regulate reproduction using stem cells instead of traditional methods. Sexual reproduction resulting in the birth of a child will be outlawed and all humans, except for a select few, will be forced to become sterilized. The speaker believes that this will be perceived as a great way to live, but the other person jokes that they may have been reading too many science fiction books.
Turkish
Hi there, sorry this question may already have been answered, several times. I tried to use the search function but couldn't come across such a thread.

Long story short, I was wondering what you think of the future in Genetics? I'd imagine each embryo will be genetically modified perhaps to reduce hereditary risks of disorders and such, but what else?

[Sorry to keep my thread short, my aim is to just understand what others think]

Biology news on Phys.org
In the future we will learn how to stop aging process via genetics. When this happens, way too many humans on earth--so news laws concerning "reproduction" will result. Imo, there will be no need for embryos from egg and sperm cells, stem cells will be used to continue species--each individual will clone them self to form a "family" group. This process will be completely regulated by government to replace death via accidents. Different family groups will join for sexual needs. Climatic chambers will be built for humans to live into ensure constant conditions, thus eliminating any evolutionary need for sexual reproduction (that is, sexual reproduction only adaptive in a changing environment). Sexual reproduction that results in birth of child will be out lawed--no pro life nor pro choice. All humans (except for a very small class of what Plato called Philosopher Kings) will be forced to become sterilized--otherwise put to death. It is much more effective to monitor and control reproduction via stem cells than union of egg and sperm via intercourse. Not to worry, you will be genetically programed to believe this is a great way to live.

^^ I LOL'd that one! :D

...been reading too many SciFi books lately? :P

Related to Future of Genetics: What Experts Think

1. What is the future of genetics?

The future of genetics is constantly evolving and expanding as new research and discoveries are made. However, experts predict that the future of genetics will involve personalized medicine, gene editing technologies, and precision medicine.

2. How will genetics impact our health in the future?

In the future, genetics will play a major role in our health as it will allow for personalized and targeted treatments for various genetic conditions and diseases. It may also help identify individuals who are at a higher risk for developing certain diseases, allowing for early intervention and prevention.

3. What advancements have been made in genetic research?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in genetic research, such as the mapping of the human genome, the development of gene editing tools like CRISPR, and the use of genetic sequencing to diagnose and treat diseases. Scientists are also constantly discovering new genes and their functions, which can have a major impact on our understanding of genetics.

4. How do experts think genetics will impact society in the future?

Experts believe that genetics will have a profound impact on society in the future, especially in areas such as healthcare, agriculture, and environmental conservation. It may also raise ethical concerns and discussions surrounding genetic engineering and its potential consequences.

5. What are the potential risks and benefits of genetic advancements?

The potential risks of genetic advancements include the misuse of gene editing technologies, discrimination based on genetic information, and the potential for unintended consequences. However, the benefits are vast, including the prevention and treatment of genetic diseases, improved agricultural practices, and a better understanding of our own biology.