Further Premutation / Combination problem

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, the question asks for the number of ways the letters of the word 'CORPORATION' can be arranged so that the vowels always come together. The solution involves treating the vowels as one letter, resulting in a total of 7 letters with 2 repeated letters. Using the formula for permutation with repetition, the number of ways to arrange these letters is calculated to be 50400. The explanation also includes an example and further clarification on the concept of permutation with repetition.
kenny1999

Homework Statement

In how many different ways can the letters of the word 'CORPORATION' be arranged so that the vowels always come together?

(This is a question with solution I find on web, but I don't understand the solution)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The following is the modal answer to the problem, but I don't understand why
7! / 2! and 5! / 3!. It's very hard to think!

Explanation:

In the word 'CORPORATION', we treat the vowels OOAIO as one letter.

Thus, we have CRPRTN (OOAIO).

This has 7 (6 + 1) letters of which R occurs 2 times and the rest are different.

Number of ways arranging these letters = 7! / 2! = 2520.

Now, 5 vowels in which O occurs 3 times and the rest are different, can be arranged

in 5! / 3! = 20 ways.

Required number of ways = (2520 x 20) = 50400.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is called permutation with repetition.
Take 'APPLE' for example, the word contains 2 identical P's but we can distinguish them by adding suffixes, i.e. A(P1)(P2)LE.
Then the number of permutation of the letters A, P1, P2, L, E is 5!
But this number includes separately the 2 permutations A(P1)(P2)LE and A(P2)(P1)LE, so that the arrangement APPLE is counted twice in the 5! permutations.
Because P1 and P2 can be arranged in 2! ways, every distinct arrangement of the letters A, P1, P2, L, E is included 2! in the 5! permutations.
Therefore the numbers of arrangements of the letters A, P, P, L, E is 5!/2!
Things should be clearer now ;-)

drawar said:
This is called permutation with repetition.
Take 'APPLE' for example, the word contains 2 identical P's but we can distinguish them by adding suffixes, i.e. A(P1)(P2)LE.
Then the number of permutation of the letters A, P1, P2, L, E is 5!
But this number includes separately the 2 permutations A(P1)(P2)LE and A(P2)(P1)LE, so that the arrangement APPLE is counted twice in the 5! permutations.
Because P1 and P2 can be arranged in 2! ways, every distinct arrangement of the letters A, P1, P2, L, E is included 2! in the 5! permutations.
Therefore the numbers of arrangements of the letters A, P, P, L, E is 5!/2!
Things should be clearer now ;-)

oh god, i finally get it.

by the way, i think the formula and calculation is pretty easy on this topic - Permutation and Combination. I always get a big headache when it comes to solving problems on this topic, but once the solution is there, it seems very easy. I am perfect with other Maths topic, i wish to know if there are any technique or better learning materials on the web about this topic. I am very weak at this.

Related to Further Premutation / Combination problem

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects or items where the order of the items matters. For example, if you have three different letters A, B, and C, the permutations would be ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA.

2. What is a combination?

A combination is an arrangement of objects or items where the order of the items does not matter. For example, if you have three different letters A, B, and C, the combinations would be ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA because they all contain the same three letters.

3. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

The main difference is that in a permutation, the order of the items matters, while in a combination, the order does not matter. Another way to think about it is that a permutation is like a specific list of items, while a combination is like a group of items with no specific order.

4. How do you calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected. For example, if you have 5 letters and want to find the number of possible permutations of 3 letters, the calculation would be 5! / (5-3)! = 5!/2! = 5*4*3 = 60 permutations.

5. How do you calculate the number of combinations?

The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula n! / (r!(n-r)!) where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected. For example, if you have 5 letters and want to find the number of possible combinations of 3 letters, the calculation would be 5! / (3!(5-3)!) = 5! / (3!2!) = 5*4*3/2 = 10 combinations.