Fundamental standing wave problem

In summary: So, in reality, the wave would start and end at x=0 and x=L, instead of x=L and x=1/4 of a wavelength away.
clairez93

Homework Statement

A 40-cm long string, with one end clamped and the other free to move transversely, is vibrating in its fundamental standing wave mode. If the wave speed is 320 cm/s, the frequency is:
A) 32 Hz
B) 16 Hz
C) 8 Hz
D) 4 Hz
E) 2 Hz

Homework Equations

[tex]v = \lambda[/tex][tex]f[/tex]
[tex]L = n(\frac{1}{2}\lambda)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]L = n(\frac{1}{2}\lambda)[/tex]
[tex].40 = \frac{1}{2}\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda = 0.8 [/tex]
[tex]v = \lambda[/tex][tex]f[/tex]
[tex] 3.2 = 0.8f[/tex]
[tex]f = 4[/tex]

Answer: E) 2 Hz

I'm wondering if perhaps the fact that the string is clamped on one end means that it would be like a sound tube that is closed on one end, and then I would have to use 1/4lambda instead of 1/2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi clairez93,

I think that's a good idea. Did you try using it? Did you get the correct answer?

Yes, if you use 1/4*lambda instead of 1/2, it gets the correct answer of 2 Hz, but I'm wondering why that works. Does a clamped end really make it like a sound tube? Wouldn't the wave still start and end with a node?

Try drawing a diagram of the situation. That's what I did to help me understand. You have a set length L as you said with this 40 cm string clamped at one end and free at the other. You have the string vibrating at the fundamental mode. This is the longest wavelength. Let's look at a diagram of the string as a function of x. Imagine the string clamped at x=0 and free at x=L. Assuming the string has the shape of a sine wave, in the fundamental mode, the shape of the string would start at x=0 and arch upwards and have its crest at x=L. This is 1/4 of a wavelength.

Does this make sense to you? If not, I will try and make a diagram... let me know.

clairez93 said:
Wouldn't the wave still start and end with a node?

I meant to add that, no, by definition, there is a free end. That means that it would not end with a node.

Related to Fundamental standing wave problem

What is a fundamental standing wave problem?

A fundamental standing wave problem is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave is reflected back on itself, creating a pattern of nodes and antinodes that do not move. This phenomenon can occur in various systems, such as musical instruments, electromagnetic fields, and fluids.

What are nodes and antinodes in a standing wave?

Nodes are points along a standing wave where there is no displacement of the medium, while antinodes are points where the displacement is at a maximum. Nodes and antinodes alternate in a standing wave pattern and are essential for the wave to maintain its structure.

How is the frequency of a standing wave determined?

The frequency of a standing wave is determined by the length of the medium and the speed of the wave. The wavelength, which is the distance between two consecutive nodes or antinodes, is inversely proportional to the frequency. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

What is the relationship between a standing wave and harmonics?

A standing wave is made up of multiple harmonic frequencies, which are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency. These harmonics contribute to the overall shape and pattern of the standing wave and determine its resonance properties.

How can the fundamental standing wave problem be applied in real-world situations?

The fundamental standing wave problem has various applications in different fields, such as acoustics, optics, and electronics. In acoustics, standing waves are used to tune musical instruments and create resonant frequencies in architectural structures. In optics, standing waves are utilized in interferometry and laser technology. In electronics, standing waves are important in the design of antennas and transmission lines.