Fundamental frequency of a stretched string

In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamental frequency of a stretched string and how it changes when the length and tension of the string are altered. The question asks for the new fundamental frequency when the length is doubled and the tension is increased by 100 times. Using the equation F = 1/2L x sqrt(T/m), the correct answer is found to be 1000Hz. The conversation also mentions that the formula may be missing a factor of L and that the provided answers may not be correct.
lykan_004

Homework Statement

The fundamental frequency of a stretched string is 200Hz. when the length of the string is doubled and Tension of the string made 100times the initial Tension, what is the new fundamental frequency of the string.

(1) 50 Hz (2) 100 Hz (3) 200Hz (4) 400 Hz (5) 800 Hz

Homework Equations

F = 1/2L x sqrt(T/ m)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I get is 1000Hz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
correct attempt

does that mean the question is wrong? coz there are similar questions, and i don't get the correct answer for any of them.

lykan_004 said:

Homework Equations

F = 1/2L x sqrt(T/ m)

I think you'll want to verify this formula. It seems to be missing a factor of L inside the square root. You can verify by checking that the units don't work out to Hz in its present form.

gneill said:
I think you'll want to verify this formula. It seems to be missing a factor of L inside the square root. You can verify by checking that the units don't work out to Hz in its present form.

m - linear density here not mass..that makes the equation dimensionally correct.

lykan_004 said:
m - linear density here not mass..that makes the equation dimensionally correct.

Ah. Perhaps then [itex]\rho[/itex] would have been a better choice of variable name :smile:

So it would appear that your answer is correct; The frequency should change by a factor of [itex]\sqrt{100}/2 = 5 [/itex]. It sometimes happens that the provided answers are not correct.

u r rite .. i wonder the same thing... :) but i hav no idea why they use m.

Related to Fundamental frequency of a stretched string

1. What is the fundamental frequency of a stretched string?

The fundamental frequency of a stretched string is the lowest frequency at which the string can vibrate in a standing wave pattern.

2. How is the fundamental frequency of a stretched string calculated?

The fundamental frequency of a stretched string is calculated using the formula: f = 1/2L * √(T/μ), where L is the length of the string, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the mass per unit length of the string.

3. What factors affect the fundamental frequency of a stretched string?

The fundamental frequency of a stretched string is affected by the tension, length, and mass per unit length of the string. Higher tension and shorter length will result in a higher frequency, while a higher mass per unit length will result in a lower frequency.

4. What is the relationship between the fundamental frequency and the harmonics of a stretched string?

The fundamental frequency of a stretched string is the first harmonic, and the higher harmonics are whole number multiples of the fundamental frequency. For example, the second harmonic is twice the frequency of the fundamental, the third harmonic is three times the frequency, and so on.

5. Can the fundamental frequency of a stretched string be changed?

Yes, the fundamental frequency of a stretched string can be changed by adjusting the tension, length, or mass per unit length of the string. Changing any of these factors will result in a different fundamental frequency.