Project Please Review - Get Feedback on Your Group Project

In summary, the conversation was about a project on the "Chemistry of Life" that involves presenting in a group as a news broadcast and covering topics such as DNA replication, translation, and transcription. The group member expressed concerns about their project and asked for suggestions. The conversation then shifted to discussing a newborn baby with an unknown mutation, and the challenges of identifying and repairing mutations in DNA. The group member also asked for advice on where to include information about DNA replication and the possibility of mutations occurring during this process.
Euphoriet
I never really post my stuff but you guys seem like a good group.

First I will explain what project consists of and then I will post the project.

Well we have to present in a group to the class as though we were a Newscast studio or something.. just give news like they do in cnn or any other news channel.

We have to cover biology and my topic includes "Chemistry of Life"... so I am basically going to cover DNA replication, translation and transcription... that should be enough I think.

I think my "news" language is not very good and my project doesn't seem very complete. Please make any comments and suggestions, thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Actual Presentation

OTHER1: And now to some unfortunate news regarding health.
ME: In today’s special celebrity report we meet with mutation. Unfortunately Marylin Mansons new born has been identified with an unknown mutation.

It almost seems unfair that with over 14 years of having several institutions concentrate on research regarding alleles, hardly 70% of disease alleles are believed to have been identified.

ME: Mutation is a term used very loosely lately but mutation really is the change in the genetic code of DNA.

Me: The thing about mutation that is sad is that a simple error in the replication of DNA can lead to a serious problem.

Me:
Even though no one would really like to go through this type of experience, it brings up the question of whether we will ever be able to develop an effective solution and cure for all mutations.
An actual system of DNA repairing already exists, and it consists of cells doing the actual reparation. DNA is the only known macromolecule that can be repaired by cells. Examples of this type of reparation include reversal and removal.

The problem with fixing mutation is that if the natural way does not work, there is very few cases were mutation can be reversed by humans.

Now... I am not sure where I should add the part regarding the DNA replication and how it would lead into a mutation... I want to make this so it doenst really specify what nucleotide got mixed up since it is supposed to be an unknown mutation...

I also want to add interaction with the other people in my group but not TOO MUCH.. it is not really necessary but it might help.

What type of mutation do you want to talk about? Ones already present in the genome and passed on the the next generation (thus present in every cell in the body) or mutations that get introduced later in life (thus leading to cancer)?

The DNA repair would apply to cancer, but not to the mutant alles present in a population.

Saying that the newborn baby was identified with a mutation is a very broad discription, we ALL have 1.8 million (http://snp.cshl.org/) mutations (variations) in our genome, most of those don't cause disease though. I'd refer to it as a gene mutation.

And if you want it the mutation to be unknown, how do you know there was a mutation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of using unknown mutation, you could use the term uncharacterized mutation. It would fit better since you known there is a mutation but it was probably never observed before.

yeah I want a gene mutation... and uncharacterized seems to work heh.. thanks.. now where would be the best place to talk about how DNA replicates and how there are chances for the mucation to happen in this phase...

1. What is the purpose of "Project Please Review"?

The purpose of "Project Please Review" is to provide a platform for students to receive constructive feedback on their group projects from their peers.

2. How does "Project Please Review" work?

"Project Please Review" allows students to create a profile and upload their group project. They can then invite their peers to review and provide feedback on their project. Students can also search for other group projects to review and earn points for completing reviews.

3. Is "Project Please Review" only for group projects?

Yes, "Project Please Review" is specifically designed for group projects. It allows for collaboration and feedback among group members, as well as receiving feedback from other students.

4. How can "Project Please Review" benefit students?

"Project Please Review" can benefit students in several ways. It allows for improved project quality through constructive feedback, promotes collaboration and communication among group members, and provides an opportunity for students to learn from other projects and receive recognition for their own work.

5. Is "Project Please Review" accessible on all devices?

Yes, "Project Please Review" is accessible on all devices including computers, tablets, and smartphones. Students can easily access and use the platform from anywhere with an internet connection.