Discover the Fascinating World of Engineering with How Things Work

• Thread starter RuroumiKenshin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, "How Things Work" is a highly recommended book that provides a comprehensive introduction to the field of engineering. It not only explains how things work, but also includes a glossary of engineering terms for further learning. However, the price of the book may be a deterrent for some readers. The accompanying website is also a valuable resource for browsing.
RuroumiKenshin
How Things Work is an excellent introduction into the wonderful world of engineering. I love that book because it not only describes how things work, but also, in the index area, has a small glossary (with TONS of data) of engineering terms. I'm planning to study & memorize all of the terms, then get with the studying of the other things (I have an unexplained interest(craving) in finding out how copy machines work! wierd!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Old thread, but I feel the need to comment.

I too loved this book, and have recommended it to quite a few people, but I think the price of the book is actually scaring people a bit. For a book, it's rather expensive, and I even had to borrow it before I finally spent the 50 or so dollars on it.

But I do agree, it's an excellent book, the website with the same name is also very useful to browse on a boring day.

I completely agree, How Things Work is a fantastic resource for anyone interested in the field of engineering. Its clear explanations and detailed glossary make it a valuable tool for learning about the inner workings of various machines and systems. I also find myself drawn to understanding how things like copy machines work, and this book has been a great help in satisfying my curiosity. It's great to hear that you are planning to study and memorize all the engineering terms - that dedication and enthusiasm will surely take you far in your engineering journey. Keep exploring and learning, and who knows, maybe one day you'll be designing your own copy machines!

1. What exactly is "How Things Work" and why is it important to understand?

"How Things Work" is a field of study that focuses on understanding the principles and mechanisms behind the functioning of various objects and systems. It is important to understand because it allows us to improve and innovate upon existing technology, as well as develop new and more efficient solutions to everyday problems.

2. What are some examples of engineering in our daily lives?

Engineering can be seen in many aspects of our daily lives, such as the buildings and infrastructure we use, the cars we drive, the electronics we use, and even the food we eat. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as healthcare, communications, and transportation.

3. What skills are required to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, one needs to have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important in order to work effectively with others on complex projects.

4. What are the different branches of engineering?

There are many different branches of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, and biomedical engineering. Each branch focuses on a specific area of study and application, but they often overlap and collaborate on projects.

5. How can I get started in learning about engineering?

If you are interested in learning about engineering, you can start by exploring the basics of math and science, as well as researching different branches of engineering to find one that interests you. You can also attend engineering workshops or camps, and consider pursuing a degree in engineering at a college or university.