Functions, Mappings and Intervals.

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to map a continuous function from one interval onto another interval. The student has shown that f(b) - f(a) ≤ b - a and that for all x in [a, b] f(a) ≤ f(x) ≤ f(b). However, the student is unable to prove that f maps from [a,b] to [a,b].
qspeechc

Homework Statement

This is a problem I am just trying to do myself to work out some other problem.

I am trying to prove: f:[a, b] → [a, b]
Given: f is continuous on [a, b], for all x in [a, b] then df/dx < 1 , f(a) ≥ a , f(b) ≤ b.

2. The attempt at a solution

First I proved that f(b) - f(a) ≤ b - a. It is simple, but I can give the proof if you wish.
Now I need to prove that for all x in [a, b] , f(a) ≤ f(x) ≤ f(b), but I have no clue how to do this. I thought of using the Mean Value Theorem somehow, but I don't quite know how. I also thought of showing that f(x) ≤ f(x + dx) for x in [a, b], but I don't know how to do that either. Any help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]f(a)\ge a[/itex] and [itex]f(b)\le b[/itex] are easy. You are told that f(a) and f(b) are in [a, b]!

Are you assuming that f is onto [a, b]? Otherwise, neither [itex]f(a)\le f(x)\le f(b)[/itex] not df/dx< 1 is true for all x in [a, b]. Take, for example, a= -1, b= 1, f(x)=x. f(a)= f(b)= 1, but f(x) is less than 1 for all other x. Also df/dx> 1 for x> 1/2.

HallsofIvy said:
[itex]f(a)\ge a[/itex] and [itex]f(b)\le b[/itex] are easy. You are told that f(a) and f(b) are in [a, b]!

I do not need to prove that, that is one of the assumptions.

I want to prove that f maps from the interval [a,b] onto [a,b].

The assumptions are:
1) f is continuous on [a, b]
2) for all x in [a, b] then df/dx < 1 ,
3) f(a) ≥ a , f(b) ≤ b.

What I have shown:
f(b) - f(a) ≤ b - a

Now to prove that f maps from [a,b] to [a,b], then I also need to show that for all x in [a,b] it is true that f(a) ≤ f(x) ≤ f(b), that is, no point in the interval [a,b] can be mapped to a point outside the interval [a,b]. How do I do this?

Anyone :(

Related to Functions, Mappings and Intervals.

1. What is the difference between a function and a mapping?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two sets of elements, where each element in the first set is assigned to exactly one element in the second set. A mapping, on the other hand, is a visual representation of this relationship using arrows or lines.

2. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all input values for which the function is defined. In other words, it is the set of all possible x-values that can be plugged into the function to produce an output.

3. How do you determine the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all output values that are produced when the corresponding input values from the domain are plugged into the function. In other words, it is the set of all possible y-values that the function can produce.

4. What are the different types of intervals?

The three main types of intervals are open intervals, closed intervals, and half-open intervals. An open interval does not include its endpoints, while a closed interval includes both endpoints. A half-open interval includes one endpoint but not the other.

5. How do you graph a function or mapping on an interval?

To graph a function or mapping on an interval, plot the input values from the domain on the x-axis and the corresponding output values on the y-axis. Then, connect the points with a curve or line, depending on the nature of the function. Make sure to include the endpoints if they are part of the interval.