Functions homo/isomorphic to change in scale

So what are you really asking about?In summary, the conversation is about finding functions that retain the same structure when they are scaled, with a focus on projections. Specifically, the question is whether there are any other functions besides conic sections that have this property and what terms are associated with it. The idea of projective surfaces with homogeneous coordinates is also mentioned as a possible avenue for exploration.
LogicalTime
I would like to find out which functions retain the same structure when they are scaled. Particularly I am interested in projections.

For example, a parabola 3d space viewed at another angle can still be represented by at^2 + bt+c. A circle however can not (ellipse)

I am guessing conic sections have this property? Are there any other functions that have this property, and what terms are associated with this property?

Attachments

• straight.jpg
    straight.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 387
  • at angle.jpg
    at angle.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would help looking at projective surfaces, with homogeneous coordinates.

LogicalTime said:
I would like to find out which functions retain the same structure when they are scaled. Particularly I am interested in projections.

For example, a parabola 3d space viewed at another angle can still be represented by at^2 + bt+c. A circle however can not (ellipse)

I am guessing conic sections have this property? Are there any other functions that have this property, and what terms are associated with this property?
Have what property? You assert that a parabola, projected onto any plane, is still a parabola (which is not quite true- it can project to a ray) while that is not true for a circle. But parabola and circle are both conic sections.

Related to Functions homo/isomorphic to change in scale

What is the concept of "Functions homo/isomorphic to change in scale"?

The concept refers to the idea that certain mathematical functions maintain their structure and properties when they are scaled or enlarged by a certain factor.

What are some examples of functions that are homo/isomorphic to change in scale?

Some examples include exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and power functions.

How does scaling affect the graph of a function?

Scaling a function by a factor of n results in the graph being stretched or compressed horizontally by a factor of n. This means that the x-values of the graph will change, while the y-values will remain the same.

What is the significance of functions homo/isomorphic to change in scale in science?

These types of functions are commonly used in scientific fields, such as physics and biology, to describe relationships between variables that change in a proportional manner.

How can we determine if a function is homo/isomorphic to change in scale?

The easiest way to determine if a function is homo/isomorphic to change in scale is to analyze its algebraic expression. If the function can be written in the form f(x) = c * g(x), where c is a constant and g(x) is a function, then it is considered to be homo/isomorphic to change in scale.