Functions and Relations: Solving for f, g, and h

In summary, we are given the functions f(x)=2x+5, g(x)=0.5, and h(x)=3-1. We are asked to find fg(x), gf(x), and fh(3). Using function composition, we can find that fg(x)=x+5, gf(x)=x+2.5, and fh(3)=9.
nae99
If f(x)= 2x+5, g(x)=0.5 and h(x)=3-1
find:
fg(x), gf(x), fh(3)

fg(x)
fg(x)= 2(0.5x)+5
fg(x)= x+5

gf(x)= 0.5(2x+5)
= x+2.5

fh(3)
fh (x) =2(3-1)+5
= 6-2+5
= 4+5

this last part of the question been puzzling me... could I get a little help pleasezz :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
nae99 said:
find:
fg(x), gf(x), fh(3)fg(x)
fg(x)= 2(0.5x)+5
fg(x)= x+5gf(x)= 0.5(2x+5)
= x+2.5fh(3)
fh (x) =2(3-1)+5
= 6-2+5
= 4+5 this last part of the question been puzzling me... could I get a little help pleasezz :confused:

I'm going to guess from your solution you meant g(x)=0.5*x. If you really meant h(x)=3-1 then the last one is fine. But writing h(x)=3-1 is a little odd. Why not just write h(x)=2, or is it another typo?

Last edited:
nae99 said:
find:
fg(x), gf(x), fh(3)
Isn't the notation wrong? It looks like you want
[itex](f \circ g)(x)[/itex], [itex](g \circ f)(x)[/itex] and [itex](f \circ h)(x)[/itex]
(function composition)
but it looks more like
[itex](fg)(x)[/itex], [itex](gf)(x)[/itex] and [itex](fh)(x)[/itex]
(combining functions by multiplication)

Related to Functions and Relations: Solving for f, g, and h

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of values, where each input value (or independent variable) has only one output value (or dependent variable). In other words, for every input, there is only one corresponding output.

2. How is a function different from a relation?

A function is a type of relation, but it has an important distinction. In a function, each input value has only one corresponding output value, while in a relation, an input value can have multiple output values.

3. What is the difference between a one-to-one function and an onto function?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input value has a unique output value, and each output value has a unique input value. On the other hand, an onto function is a function where every element in the output set has at least one element in the input set that maps to it.

4. How do you represent a function?

A function can be represented in several ways, including as a table, a graph, an equation, or a mapping diagram. Each representation can give different insights into the function and its behavior.

5. What is the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of independent variables, and the range is the set of dependent variables.