Functional relationship between pressure and position(1d).

In summary, the conversation is about a research project on oscillations, specifically on modeling the speed of sound in air using a driving sound wave from a speaker in an open cylindrical tube. The goal is to establish the functional relationship between pressure and position, but the data points on a graph are currently unclear. The person is seeking suggestions and help with this project.
Bleakfacade
Hello there, so today I started doing my research on oscillations in a course on advanced mechanics. The experiment was to mathematically model the speed of sound in air and experimentally prove the usability of the model. To keep it simple and pose my question as directly as possible, my professor told me to use the driving sound wave from the speaker in a open cylindrical tube. Further, the maxima of the voltage as read by the microphone(displayed by the oscilloscope) was to be considered as the peak(amplitude) of the pressure.
What I am trying to establish is the functional relationship between pressure and position. I have a graph of voltage against position(attached), but I do not know what to fit the data points with.
All your suggestions and help is hereby gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• graph.jpeg
    graph.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Functional relationship between pressure and position(1d).

1. What is the functional relationship between pressure and position in a one-dimensional system?

The functional relationship between pressure and position in a one-dimensional system is described by Boyle's Law, which states that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases proportionally. This means that as the position of a gas particle becomes more confined, the pressure it exerts increases.

2. How does pressure vary with position in a one-dimensional system?

In a one-dimensional system, pressure varies inversely with position. This means that as the position decreases, the pressure increases and vice versa.

3. What is the mathematical equation for the functional relationship between pressure and position in a one-dimensional system?

The mathematical equation for Boyle's Law, which describes the functional relationship between pressure and position in a one-dimensional system, is P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.

4. How does temperature affect the functional relationship between pressure and position in a one-dimensional system?

In a one-dimensional system, temperature does not directly affect the functional relationship between pressure and position. However, as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of gas particles also increases, causing them to collide with the walls of the container more frequently and with greater force, thus increasing the pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of the functional relationship between pressure and position in a one-dimensional system?

One real-world application of this functional relationship is in the operation of a bicycle tire pump. When the pump is used, the volume of air decreases, causing an increase in pressure, which then fills the tire. This is also the principle behind syringes, where pushing the plunger decreases the volume and increases the pressure, allowing for precise control of liquid or gas flow.