Functional relation and implicit functions

In summary: This is more a conceptual question. So i am doing some self review of multi variate calculus and i am looking at functinal relations of the form F(x, y, z,...) = 0In the book they talk about implicit differentiation. Now i fully understand how to do the mechanics of it, but i was trying to understand why we need implicit differentiation? I get the fact that we may not be able to solve for all our functions in an explicit form say y = g(x, z,w,...)But when they state something along the lines of we can use the chain rule to compute the partials of g in terms of F whereF(x, y, z,...g
trap101
This is more a conceptual question. So i am doing some self review of multi variate calculus and i am looking at functinal relations of the form F(x, y, z,...) = 0

In the book they talk about implicit differentiation. Now i fully understand how to do the mechanics of it, but i was trying to understand why we need implicit differentiation? I get the fact that we may not be able to solve for all our functions in an explicit form say y = g(x, z,w,...)

But when they state something along the lines of we can use the chain rule to compute the partials of g in terms of F where

F(x, y, z,...g(x, y, z))

And the partials would .be of the form dg/dxj = -djF/d(n+1)F

What is the objective of this expression?

Convuluted i know, if clarification is needed please ask. Thanks for help

trap101 said:
This is more a conceptual question. So i am doing some self review of multi variate calculus and i am looking at functinal relations of the form F(x, y, z,...) = 0

In the book they talk about implicit differentiation. Now i fully understand how to do the mechanics of it, but i was trying to understand why we need implicit differentiation? I get the fact that we may not be able to solve for all our functions in an explicit form say y = g(x, z,w,...)

But when they state something along the lines of we can use the chain rule to compute the partials of g in terms of F where

F(x, y, z,...g(x, y, z))

And the partials would .be of the form dg/dxj = -djF/d(n+1)F
This is very difficult to follow. You have F(x, y, z, ..., g(x, y, z)). That's just an expression. Typically you have level curves where F(x, y, z, ..., g(x, y, z)) = C for some constant C.

In this equation, dg/dxj = -djF/d(n+1)F, you have switched from variables x, y, z, ... to indexed variables x1, x2, and so on.
I don't know what you're trying to convey with this expression -- -djF/d(n+1)F.

Do you have a specific example in mind?

trap101 said:
What is the objective of this expression?

Convuluted i know, if clarification is needed please ask. Thanks for help

a function is a curve that satisfies the vertical line test, and when you have a formula for such a function in terms of y = f(x) you know how to find the tangent line at any point.

A curve that is given by a formula like F(x,y) = 0, may not satisfy the vertical line test, hence it may be impossible to solve for it as a formula like y = f(x), but you may still want to know the tangent line at some point.

If you can find a point (x,y) on your curve, i.e. one that satisfies F(x,y) = 0, and if it is a point where there is a unique tangent line, then implicit differentiation let's you solve for the slope of the tangent line at that point, without solving your formula for y. This is often useful.

The hard part however is finding the coordinates of a point on a curve given in the implicit form F(x,y)= 0, but if you know what point you want the tangent line at, you are ok.e.g. the curve X^3 +X^2 Y - Y^3 + 2Y -3 = 0 has as one of its points the point (1,1). at this point the partial derivatives are not both zero, so there is a unique tangent line whose slope can be computed by implicit differentiation. in this example however the derivative wrt y is zero there, so the tangent line at this point is vertical. thus one can compute dx/dy but not dy/dx. thus at this point y is not determined implicitly as a diff'ble function of x, but x is a diff'ble implicit function of y, which is just as good for finding the tangent line. if this confuses you, exchange the letters x and y in the example and get a more traditional one.

Related to Functional relation and implicit functions

1. What is a functional relation?

A functional relation is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables, where the value of one variable is determined by the values of the other variables. It can be represented by an equation or a graph.

2. What is an implicit function?

An implicit function is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables, where the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable. This means that the relationship is not easily represented by an equation, but can still be understood through the use of implicit differentiation.

3. How is a functional relation different from an implicit function?

The main difference between a functional relation and an implicit function is the way the relationship is expressed. A functional relation is explicitly stated in terms of an equation, while an implicit function is only understood through implicit differentiation.

4. What are some examples of functional relations?

Examples of functional relations include linear equations, quadratic equations, and exponential equations. These relationships can be expressed in terms of an equation, where one variable is dependent on the other variable(s).

5. How are functional relations and implicit functions used in real-life applications?

Functional relations and implicit functions are used in various fields of science, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to model and understand real-life phenomena. For example, in physics, functional relations are used to describe the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, while implicit functions are used to understand the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid dynamics.