Functional or regular (partial) taylor series in Field theory

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to expanding the determinant of the metric as a functional of a perturbation from the flat metric. The first approach recognizes that the determinant is a functional of the metric and expands it using a functional Taylor series. Meanwhile, the second approach treats the determinant as a regular variable and expands it using a regular Taylor series. The conversation ultimately concludes that both approaches yield the same result.
center o bass
When expanding a function (for example the determinant of the space-time metric g) as a functional of a perturbation from the flat metric ##h_{\mu \nu}##, i.e. ##g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu} ## i would think that the thing to do is to recognize that ##g_{\mu \nu}## and thus also ##h_{\mu \nu}## is itself a function of x and thus ##g(g_{\mu \nu})## is a functional of ##g_{\mu \nu}## and therefore we can expand the functional Taylor series

$$ g(g_{\mu \nu}) = g(\eta_{\mu \nu}) + \int d^4 x \frac{\delta g}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}(x)}|_{h_{\mu \nu} =0} \delta g_{\mu \nu} + \ldots $$

However I've regularly encountered people seeming to treat ##g_{\mu \nu}## as a regular variable and thus expanding

$$ g(g_{\mu \nu})= g(\eta_{\mu \nu}) + \frac{\partial g}{\partial g_{\mu \nu}}|_{h_{\mu \nu} =0} \delta g_{\mu \nu} + \ldots $$

which also yields the correct answer. So I wondered is there something fundamentally wrong with the latter approach? I.e. what is the reason (if there is one) that one must thing of g as a functional and expand accordingly instead of thinking of it as a regular function?

(I realize that this is perhaps a question more suited to the mathematics forum, but I suspect those who knows a little about the mathematics of field theory can answer perhaps even better from a physicists point of view than those coming from a formal mathematics background.)

Physics news on Phys.org
They're the same because the thing you're expanding (the determinant of the metric) is a function of gμν alone, not its derivative. For objects that depend on gμν,σ you'll get an additional term in the functional derivative coming from ∂/∂gμν,σ.

Bill_K said:
They're the same because the thing you're expanding (the determinant of the metric) is a function of gμν alone, not its derivative. For objects that depend on gμν,σ you'll get an additional term in the functional derivative coming from ∂/∂gμν,σ.

I do not really see how this is related to wheather the determinant is a functional of the derivative or not. I'm tinking of the functional taylor series as the continuous version of the discrete multivariable expansion

$$ g(\vec x) = g(\vec x_0) + \sum_i \frac{\partial g}{\partial x_i} (x - x_0)_i + \ldots $$

In this sense, treating the 'continous vector' ##h_{\mu \nu}(x)## like a single variable would be like treating ##\vec x = (x_1, x_2, \ldots ,x_n)## like a single variable. Is what you are describing a condition where this is allowed?

Perhaps you should look it up in Wikipedia in that case.

The functional derivative is most familiar from deriving the Euler-Lagrange equations by variation of L. In taking the functional derivative δL/δf, one considers L to be a function of f and all its derivatives: f', f'', etc. Dependence on the coordinates xi is irrelevant.

Then δL/δf = ∂L/∂f - d/dx(∂L/∂f') + d2/dx2(∂L/∂f'') - ... For the simple case you quoted, the determinant of gμν is just an algebraic function and qw have just the first term, δg/δgμν = ∂g/∂gμν.

Bill_K said:
Perhaps you should look it up in Wikipedia in that case.

The functional derivative is most familiar from deriving the Euler-Lagrange equations by variation of L. In taking the functional derivative δL/δf, one considers L to be a function of f and all its derivatives: f', f'', etc. Dependence on the coordinates xi is irrelevant.

Then δL/δf = ∂L/∂f - d/dx(∂L/∂f') + d2/dx2(∂L/∂f'') - ... For the simple case you quoted, the determinant of gμν is just an algebraic function and qw have just the first term, δg/δgμν = ∂g/∂gμν.

I think I've had a revelation regarding this issue. The determinant g is not a functional of ##g_{\mu \nu}## since in order to be a functional the map, from the function to a scalar, has to use a domain of the function, not just the function evaluated at one point x. Since the evaluation of the determinant does not require ##g_{\mu \nu}## to be evaluated at more than one point x, one can regard ##g_{\mu \nu}## as a variable and thus taylor expand according to a regular taylor expansion. In contrast for the action S[f,f',f''] one has an integration over a domain of f, f', and f'' and it is not possible to regard f, f' and f'' as just single variables when expanding as a taylor series.

I think I've had a revelation regarding this issue. The determinant g is not a functional of gμν since in order to be a functional the map, from the function to a scalar, has to use a domain of the function, not just the function evaluated at one point x. Since the evaluation of the determinant does not require gμν to be evaluated at more than one point x, one can regard gμν as a variable and thus taylor expand according to a regular taylor expansion.

That's just what I've been saying! :smile:

the thing you're expanding (the determinant of the metric) is a function of gμν alone, not its derivative.
the determinant of gμν is just an algebraic function

Bill_K said:
That's just what I've been saying! :smile:

Ah, sorry I missed that point ;) Thank you anyway Bill.

Related to Functional or regular (partial) taylor series in Field theory

What is a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series in Field theory?

A functional or regular (partial) Taylor series in Field theory is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function by a polynomial. It is an infinite sum of terms that represent the function's derivatives evaluated at a specific point. It is commonly used in field theory to expand a functional or regular (partial) field into a series of simpler terms.

How is a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series used in Field theory?

In Field theory, a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series is used to approximate complicated functions or fields into simpler forms. This allows for easier analysis and calculations, especially in cases where the original function is difficult to work with. It is also used to numerically solve differential equations and to study the behavior of physical systems.

What are the advantages of using a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series in Field theory?

Using a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series in Field theory has several advantages. It allows for the simplification of complex functions, making them easier to analyze and manipulate. It also provides a more accurate representation of the function compared to using a finite number of terms. Additionally, it can be used to approximate functions that are not easily expressed in closed form.

What are the limitations of using a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series in Field theory?

One limitation of using a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series in Field theory is that it only provides an approximation of the original function. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series, and in some cases, an infinite number of terms may be needed for a completely accurate representation. Additionally, it may not be applicable to functions with singularities or discontinuities.

How is a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series different from a power series?

A functional or regular (partial) Taylor series is a type of power series, but it is specific to functions that are differentiable. It is centered at a specific point and its terms are the derivatives of the function evaluated at that point. In contrast, a general power series can be centered at any point and its terms are not necessarily related to the derivatives of the function. Additionally, a functional or regular (partial) Taylor series is used to approximate a specific function, while a power series can represent a wide range of functions.